What kind of linux user are you?

View Poll Results: What kind of linux user are you?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Engineer/Admin: Gnome

7 13.73%
  • Engineer/Admin: KDE

5 9.80%
  • Engineer/Admin: Other

3 5.88%
  • Programmer/Hacker: Gnome

4 7.84%
  • Programmer/Hacker: KDE

4 7.84%
  • Programmer/Hacker: Other

6 11.76%
  • User/Artist: Gnome

6 11.76%
  • User/Artist: KDE

8 15.69%
  • User/Artist: Other

8 15.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of linux user are you?

What kind of linux user are you?

I'm asking everyone here to mark their *general* preference combination, because I think that there's a trend!

Please specify which very generalized *group* of Linux user you fit into primarily:

Linux User Style:
    Engineer/Admin : you use your computer to run servers, develop server platforms, administer servers, etc.
    Programmer/Hacker : you use your computer to write code, scripts, and generally tinker with code, scripts, settings, etc.
    User/Artist : you use your computer to *mainly* surf the web, check email, write documents, deal with photos/graphics/music, organize and store files, etc.

Desktop Environment:
    Gnome: The standard ubuntu installed desktop
    KDE: another desktop environment also available

EDIT: Sorry xfce/fluxbox/enlightenment/blackbox/etc users, there just isn't enough space to put in options for all of you! So I have to generalize and only put the major options on. If you use something else please tell me about it!
    Last edited by CyberCat; 05-13-2005 at 03:25 PM.

I do all my programming in Gnome.
    C/C++ - Eclipse
    Java - Gedit
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

I marked as a an Admin with KDE, becuase that is what I use all the time, and that is what I do, I am a networ engineer (x platform etc) and I use KDE on all my systems, but never forget that the konsole is one of my closest friends too!!!

Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

None... of the above. At all. Sorry.

Not a lot of options (especially window managers) considering your title of the poll was "what kind of linux-user are you?" But I guess your'e trying see a connection between what you do with your computer and choice of kde/gnome wm in particular.

Anyway, this made me curious, reading posts on this and other forums it seems like over half of the users are using kde or gnome. Although if you read threads on wm's everybody seems to use different ones.

Could someone point me to a thread with a poll or other website with statistics on the use of window managers. When I searched this forum the best I could find was a poll with the alternatives kde/gnome/other/dont use X.

Would be interesting to know...thanx..and sorry for going a little off-topic.

btw. I use my linux box mostly for scientific stuff and I use fluxbox and sometimes blackbox.

I'm not going to click on one of the things up top specifically. I almost NEVER use Linux at home anymore. I just run XP at home. At work though, we have several Linux servers that do NFS/NIS stuff (store files so other machines can mount it), store scripts and administer other machines, and then we also have Linux boxes to test code on. I develop code on a build machine, which can be done on AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux (this is different than the machines used for testing code though...this builds the executables, then I replace the binaries on the test machines and find out if my fix actually works or not), or Windows. So essentially, my use of Linux falls into your Engineer/admin category, as well as your programmer/hacker category. Some of the boxes (typically the RHEL boxes) have gnome, and the Suse boxes tend to run KDE. So add an option to select ALL of the first four options and then I'll vote!
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Programmer here, but I don't use either KDE or Gnome.

(Desktop environments in general are way too heavyweight, and it takes too long to compile them. LFS has instructions for both, but they're a pain. When twm is able to run after installing just X, that's fine with me. )

Do you want me (or one of the other mods) to add 3 more options to the poll, for "neither KDE nor Gnome" for each user type?

Thanks for your offer bwkaz, please do add an option for "other" for each of the three types. (e.g. User/Artist: Other)

Thank you very much!

I don't like desktop environments either, I can use them for a while but I always end up using a window manager.

djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Cool

I would fall under the amature user/artist category! I am running FC3 & windows XP. However now that FC3 is on the new box, we just don't boot XP anymore, The wife, the kids, and I all like FC3 better. All XP is really any good for is some games, at least to the kids. So if I understand the question correctly, the default desktop on FC3 is GNOME, and thats the one I like, in fact, that is why I didn't go with SIMPLYMepis, because I didn't care for the KDE desktop. Anyhow thats my .02 cents worth

Justbill

Compaq Presario SR1426NX
    2.93 Ghz Pentium 4
    512 MB PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM
    160 Gig Serial ATA Harddrive

I dont use either DE, however I checked Engineer/Admin - Gnome..cuz I tend to favor the GTK apps, and the ones that require the gnome libs, dont ask me why.

Anyway, I thought that'd be something to consider when voting, which types of applications you use, if you dont use the complete DE.
    -merc
    my site: http://escalated.net

I voted KDE User/Artist. I am more of a consumer/tweaker/experimenter than an artist though, see my avatar, thats about as artistic as I get.

I mainly use my home machines for watching moves, playing games, and typing term papers. Though occasionally I program a mathematical program to calculate something. I've had a program running on my server for over a month now calculating aspect ratios of pythagorean triangles, storing the larger ratio ones to a text file that I can 'cat' anytime I want to see it. I also administrate my home network with NIS, NFS, and CUPS running on my server.
    In general, I would classify myself as a 'user'.
    And I like KDE. I also like xfce, which I'll use on my P133 laptop if I ever get time to install debian on it.

user: KDE

It was easier to just tack the Other options on the bottom them shuffling up the whole thing (unless another mod wishes to take the time )

I kinda fall in the Programmer/Hacker even though my day job is more Engineer, my free time is tweaking things messing with it and scripting....
    I prefer to use Fluxbox for it's lightness and high customability (through hacking ) and still can do some eye candyish things if I care to

Lately just a user of linuxes for some minor coding purposes.... Basically just user/artist, since I'm just using it to get stuff done.

And i reqarranged the poll Icarus. (smidge bored)
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤