I have IP address but no Internet conection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have IP address but no Internet conection

I have IP address but no Internet conection

Why if KInfoCenter is shows me the IP address of my Internet provider when I ping www.gnu.org I get "Unknow host: www.gnu.org" and I, obviously, don't have access to the Internet?

What is in /etc/resolv.conf ? It should have something like

search yourdomain.com
    nameserver 1.2.3.4
    nameserver 1.2.3.5

Where the 1.... is the IP of your name server.

Assuming this is your problem, you should be able to get to

http://18.89.0.72

And once your DNS is working, the same site should be at http://mitv.mit.edu

Here is:
    Code:
    [$] cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.254.254
    search domain.invalid
    This is what I get when I ping this address:
    Code:
    [$] ping 18.89.0.72
    Connect: Network is unreachable
    This what I get when I ping the Free Software Foundation' server:
    Code:
    [$] ping www.gnu.org
    ping: unknown host www.gnu.org
    but it takes a while to shows me this message, nevertheless, KInfoCenter shows me this info:
    Code:
    Name: eth0
    IP address: 192.168.254.1
    Network mask: 255.255.255.1
    Type: Broadcast
    State: Up

Name: lo
    IP address: 127.0.0.1
    Network mask: 255.0.0.0
    Type: Loopback
    State: Up
    Another question: When I go to use a public Internet service (a.k.a. Ciber Cafe's) and I use the slax LiveCD, I can access to the Internet but when I use the same LiveCD in my home I cannot, why?

How are you connecting to the internet?
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Just like this diagram

[$] cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.254.254
    whos ip address is that?

It seems to be mine but, as a matter of fact, I don't know whose belongs it.

Aside from the possible resolv.conf problem, this sounds like a routing problem. If the OP can't ping by IP# then he needs to find his gateway.

According to the diagram cited above he has only a hub between his workstations and his DSL modem. The modem is probably getting its IP# from his ISP's DHCP server, but there is no internal router to do masquerading and resolve internal (192.168.x.x) addys.

Considering his level of expertise I'd suggest an inexpensive hardware router immediately behind the modem. His FC firewall on the workstations can be good (belt & suspenders) but can complicate file and printer sharing accross the internal network until he has learned more about configuring the software firewall.

For those with a bit more understanding of networking and iptables, a linux box with a distro like Coyote Linux running can provide excellent routing/firewall/masq services for simple networks. More complex neworks may prefer something like Bering Leaf or Shorewall.
    We'll get thisright yet!

As for the name resolution issue the OP must get the IP's of his ISP's nameservers and make the entries in /etc/resolv.conf on each workstation unless his (new) router does DNS in which case the ISP nameservers will be entered on the router setup and the workstations will use the IP of the router in /etc/resolv.conf.
    Last edited by camelrider; 05-14-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    We'll get thisright yet!

Well, after five hours of been talking with the costumer service I finally can connect to the Internet, however, it has been possible only through the PPPoE protocol.

Is it possible to connect my three PC's as this diagram shows using this protocol?

Because, as you might know, the costumer service doesn't help about a conection using Linux.

Yes, the protocol that you use to connect to the outside doesn't matter, it could be ADSL, Cable, Dial-Up, whatever..
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Yes, yes!

By the way, I found this DSL HOWTO while I was looking info about my modem number, I post here for future reference.

It seems that the previous link is broken, here is from The Linux Documentation Project

Is there another way to connect to Internet besides PPPoE, it doesn't work with Fedora Core.
    Last edited by asarch; 05-16-2005 at 02:18 PM.

no, if pppoe is necessary, then it is necessary, there's no way around it. It's a protocol just like others. I'm sure it works in fedora core, however, so it shouldn't be an issue. I'd google up some documentation, because I'm sure there's lots of people using fedora with DSL connections