I have IP address but no Internet conection - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have IP address but no Internet conection

Originally posted by Fryguy8
    no, if pppoe is necessary, then it is necessary, there's no way around it. It's a protocol just like others. I'm sure it works in fedora core, however, so it shouldn't be an issue. I'd google up some documentation, because I'm sure there's lots of people using fedora with DSL connections
    And why do I have to use this protocol if, as I cited at the begining of this thread, when I go to rent a PC and I use a LiveCD it automatically setups itself so there is no necesary to install any packages like this.

Whose problem is this? The modem's?, my ISP?, my PC's?, me?

Slight confusion

In one of the eariler posts in this thread, you mentioned getting an non-routeable address of 192.168.254.1. Did you ever figure out what device was issueing this address? You wouldn't be getting this address from your ISP.

You mention that your ISP requires PPPoE, and that you arae connecting with that. Most ISPs ship modems now that handle the PPPoE connection withing the modem itself (this keeps from win9x/2k users from having to install 3rd party PPPoE clients <cringe>).

When you do <i>ifconfig -a</i> as root you should be seeing both an eth(x) pulling an address and ppp pulling an address. The ppp should be showing an routeable address that the NIC is pulling directly. Did they change the mode of your modem for the PPPoE client to work? If they did that then your modem can handle the PPPoE connection for you.

I supposed it's a matter of preference, but I would think this would be not be preferred as you won't have to deal with any NAT issues. If you don't want to do the PPPoE connect with Linux then have them set the modem up to do the PPPoE for you, but you will need to use it's web/telnet interface (which is sometime lacking advanced features) for any port forwarding/DMZ you may need later).

Hope this helps, if not, please let us know what equipment you are using as I'm sure someone else here has similar equipment or can find instrcutions/specifications for it.

Good luck.

Debian user (Kanotix on Desktop)

Originally posted by lonescout
    In one of the eariler posts in this thread, you mentioned getting an non-routeable address of 192.168.254.1. Did you ever figure out what device was issueing this address? You wouldn't be getting this address from your ISP.
    It seems to be from my modem because the guy from the customer service gave it to me to setup the modem.
    You mention that your ISP requires PPPoE, and that you arae connecting with that. Most ISPs ship modems now that handle the PPPoE connection withing the modem itself (this keeps from win9x/2k users from having to install 3rd party PPPoE clients <cringe>).
    But nevertheless even from XP I had to do this so I could connected to Internet.
    When you do <i>ifconfig -a</i> as root you should be seeing both an eth(x) pulling an address and ppp pulling an address. The ppp should be showing an routeable address that the NIC is pulling directly. Did they change the mode of your modem for the PPPoE client to work? If they did that then your modem can handle the PPPoE connection for you.
    Yes, the costumer service guy had to do this so I could connected to Internet.
    I supposed it's a matter of preference, but I would think this would be not be preferred as you won't have to deal with any NAT issues. If you don't want to do the PPPoE connect with Linux then have them set the modem up to do the PPPoE for you, but you will need to use it's web/telnet interface (which is sometime lacking advanced features) for any port forwarding/DMZ you may need later).
    I REALLY don't like it, it doesn't work with FC3.
    Hope this helps, if not, please let us know what equipment you are using as I'm sure someone else here has similar equipment or can find instrcutions/specifications for it.
    Efficient Networks, SpeedStream 5200.

This has happened to me before.

I'm willing to bet that your linux install is using the wrong ethernet adapter.

This usually happens in a system that has a motherboard with an onboard ethernet adapter (almost all motherboards nowadays), as well as a PCI NIC. There is an incompatibility between some motherboards and Linux, and even if you disable the onboard ethernet port in the BIOS, Linux still sees it, calls it eth0, and then sees your PCI NIC, and calls it eth1. As a final insult, it assumes that you want to use eth0 by default.

Make sure Linux is talking to the NIC with the cable connected to it. If you added a NIC card to your system, try using eth1 in your conf file.

Last edited by JSimmons; 05-26-2005 at 03:25 PM.