Ubuntu installation problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu installation problems

Ubuntu installation problems

Hi all,
    I just got my ubuntu linux copy but I have a problem.I am not really good at these stuff.I have a problem mounting the cd rom.It does not recognise it.It tells me to put in a floppy with the drivers but I am not sure how.
    My cd/dvd rom is Lie-ON dvd sohd-167T ( IDE).I mean when I downloaded the drivers for it from the internet they come in a .exe setup file

Anyway any help to the complete noob?

EDIT: I want to dual boot linux or win xp.I have already created 3 partitions.
    Last edited by Lef; 05-21-2005 at 08:32 AM.

You'll have to be more specific, at what point does it give this message? Does it boot successfully from the CDROM?
    If you remain calm while those around you panic, you probably haven't realised the seriousness of the situation!

Ok I will.It boots ok from the cd.At the 3rd step (the one after the keyboard map) where it says to mount the cdrom I have the problem.

To be honest I've never tried Ubuntu. I'm downloading the iso now as I've wanted to give it a go anyway. Get back to you if I can shed any light.

In the mean time I'm sure someone else can help. Anyone?
    If you remain calm while those around you panic, you probably haven't realised the seriousness of the situation!

What is the error message you getting, in the exact words?

It says that it needs the drivers for the cd-rom.It can not auto-detect it.

You might want to try booting with another kernel. Or if you could get to a shell modprobe could help.

english ? >.<

What is a kernel?Other version of Linux?What is a shell modprobe?

You should have (atleast with other distros) different kernels to choose from when/before you start booting. Which might have a driver for your cdrom.

If that doesnt work then maybe you can get to a shell ( terminal ) and load the driver for your device manually (with the command "modprobe" )

Hope that helps.

Create a 800 MB FAT32 Partition on the disk, copy the entire contents of the CD to it in Windows, boot from CD and when it get to that stage it will find the install sitting on the FAT partition. I have this same problem sometimes with Mepis.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

-Deep Thought, Jack Handey

Because I am not so much into this partition stuff ... the two linux partitions I created are not seen by windows , in: my computer. IF I make this fat32 it will be seen e?

You may have to compile support into the kernel before you're able to read the filesystem. I think fat32 is supported by default but I think you have to compile ntfs in by yourself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You'd also have to mount the partition somewhere.

none of the above makes any sense.

there are no "drivers" for cd-roms in linux. all you need is cd-rom support in the kernel, which i am sure ubuntu has.

what disc are you using to install with?

what disc are you trying to mount and why?

when i tested ubuntu, it was 1 cd, i put it in, it booted, i clicked next or whatever a few times, entered my name, etc. and it did the rest on its own.

He didnt understand "shell" or "kernel" so I wasnt going to push it, calm down...

Originally posted by Hypz
    He didnt understand "shell" or "kernel" so I wasnt going to push it, calm down...
    who wasn't calm?