Rot13 in Python

Thread: Rot13 in Python

Question Rot13 in Python

I've only just begun getting a taste of Python & have a quick question. Is there any easy way to change a character (Rot13 style, so the letter 'a' becomes the 13th char of the alphabet & the 13th char becomes the 'a', etc) in Python?

Many other programming languages let you just add/subtract 13 to a char to change it, but Python allways concatenates & doesn't seem to allow any operations to be done on strings (yes I know that they're immutable).

The solution is probably SO EASY.... I just can't figure it out....

Any ideas?

(Supa thanks in advanced)

Starting with an ASCII string named srcstring, I think this for loop is valid:

Code:
    for char in srcstring:
        val = ord(char)
        if val > 96 and val < 123:
            # lowercase letter
            val = ((val - 83) mod 26) + 96
        elif val > 64 and val < 91:
            # uppercase letter
            val = ((val - 51) mod 26) + 64
        deststring += chr(val)
    ROT13 is not supposed to change non-letter characters, IIRC.

If you're starting with a Unicode string instead of an ASCII string, then change "chr" to "unichr" in the last line. Actually, unichr() might work anyway... I'm not sure on that though.

Thanks for the reply bwkaz. I'll give it a try. Looks like I need to learn a lot more Python!!! (Just started this week).

I get the gist of what the code is doing, but what do 'mod' & 'chr' do? I've never used them yet.

Thanks again.

Look at the codecs module. It's got a rot13 encoding built in, so all you should have to do (if I'm understanding the documentation correctly) is call codecs.getencoder("rot_13") to get a function, and then call it with your input string (remember that encoding and decoding in rot13 are the same operation, so you don't need to get a decoder function as well).
    Adam

Dell Inspiron 600m
    P-M 1.6 GHz | 512MB RAM | IPW2100 Wireless | CDRW/DVD-ROM | 40GB HDD

Awsome. I'll look into those codecs AdamZ.

Oooh, that is better. I'll have to remember that codecs module.

Originally posted by NecroLin
    what do 'mod' & 'chr' do?
    'mod' does a modulo operation.

a mod b is the remainder when a is divided by b. No number's modulo can ever be >= b.

Modulo is also an easy way of making values "wrap around" a range of values. Instead of checking whether the result is bigger than the range and subtracting from it, you just use mod, and mod does it for you.

'chr' takes a number and constructs an ASCII character from it. It returns a string whose only character is the character that corresponds to the numeric value you gave it in the ASCII character set.

'ord' does the opposite.

chr(ord(one-char-string)) returns one-char-string. chr(65) is "A" (uppercase A, in ASCII, is represented by the numeric value 65).

Super thanks for your help.

Should have lots of time to play with both ways of doing rot13 today.