9 button mouse

Thread: 9 button mouse

9 button mouse

I posted a similar question awhile back but then I wasted my hard drive and I'm just getting back to it.

Anyway, I've got a 9 button mouse (Micro Innovations PD550P). It has 2 top buttons, 2 scrollers, and 2 side buttons. I've gotten the 2 scrollers to work fine (as up/down, left/right scroll) with the following in my XF86Config file:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Mouse0"
    	Driver      "mouse"
    	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    	Option	    "Buttons" "9"
    	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection
    Then, I've been running xev to test my mouse but nothing registers when I push either side buttons (8 and 9???). In the end, I'd like to get them to work as back/fwd in firebird. I've read several posts about this, but I can't seem to find info about 9 button mice. Has anyone gotton a 9 button mouse to work?

you should be able to figure it out from this thread. you will have to use xmodmap as well as the XF86Config.

The only way I could get the nav buttons to work on by 7 button mouse was to use ExplorerPS/2 as the protocol.
    I haven't cried like this since I paid for Godfather III --Fat Tony

Currently breaking:
    Gentoo Stage 1 w/gentoo-dev-2.6.14-r2 kernel
    FreeBSD 6.0
    XP Pro, well thats already broken

maybe i'll grab some attention to this matter

first off i would like to thank j79zlr and Hayl for the help they provide in these forums, with this topic alone they have been great help for me personally.

I have been trying out several new distros releases this week(debian,lorma,blag,fedora core1, slackware) to get my feet wet, and i have had the same problems with my mouse config (logitech cordless mx500 click !plus)

well with the sticky thread posted here http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=117016

i managed to get x to get my mouse to see all 7 buttons and xmodmap line helped me even correctly swap the order around.

xev shows 7 independent buttons----GREAT!

next step is where i get lost...kinda.

getting the a window manger to bind button 7 or 6 to do something is easy to say but i'm not sure what to do nor what file to edit per WM. i'm fond of KDE, so i figure its pretty wideknown how to get x to bind "button 7" to do some kinda command.

now the next part is pretty easy once i can figure out what wm specific file to edit, i could have "button 7" to = ALT+left via xvkbd.

sure its easy for me to just run the command in the tutorial but i'd like to understand each layer and how they are read by each program. if can find what file in KDE handle mouse bindings i'm kinda just stuck

thats just about the end of my rant.

getting the a window manger to bind button 7 or 6 to do something is easy to say but i'm not sure what to do nor what file to edit per WM. i'm fond of KDE, so i figure its pretty wideknown how to get x to bind "button 7" to do some kinda command.

now the next part is pretty easy once i can figure out what wm specific file to edit, i could have "button 7" to = ALT+left via xvkbd.

sure its easy for me to just run the command in the tutorial but i'd like to understand each layer and how they are read by each program. if can find what file in KDE handle mouse bindings i'm kinda just stuck

you would think that mozilla (or any other program for that matter) would have a easy to use plug in that could bind things to certin X events....i.e "button 7" = back "button 6" = forward

thats just about the end of my rant.

I haven't cried like this since I paid for Godfather III --Fat Tony

Currently breaking:
    Gentoo Stage 1 w/gentoo-dev-2.6.14-r2 kernel
    FreeBSD 6.0
    XP Pro, well thats already broken

i did try imwheel on fedora

to the key i made sure i followed those EXACT directions, it did not work

when i ran xev afterwards, when i pressed button 7 it went ape-S***

not sure what happened there maybe i didnt get imwheel to install properly

i wish i knew how to program and make simple programs, id make a simple dummy version mouse config <-->key bind gui based thing, much like the ones that come with Windows.

i dunno this BACK/Forward button config thing seems to be a popular item on forums these days. Perhaps the devolpers out there will shine on us users and throw us a bone.

on a side note logitech and belkin seem not to answer email if the L***X
    word is used. I dont think they would create linux based mouse/HID software.

Again, everything mentioned above has to do with 7 button mice. I have 9 buttons, so can someone help me with that?

About imwheel, my wheels are recognized so why would I want to install it?

Right now, I would just like to get xev to notice my side buttons which I guess would be buttons 8 and 9.

to get the back/forward keys to work the way i do it, you need to use:

xvkbd | http://member.nifty.ne.jp/tsato/xvkbd/

and then use the native keygrabbing of your WM to map the buttons to xvkbd commands.

set mouse button 6 to:
    xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]"

set mouse button 7 to:
    xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]"

i do know that both KDE and Gnome have keygrabbing software - I do not know if they allow you to set up mouse buttons, i would hope that they do. if they don't then you will likely need to use imwheel to get it to work - as was stated earlier in this post by another member.

Openbox3 has great mouse configuration that allows you to easily map the xvkbd commands to the 6th and 7th buttons (in the <mouse> section under the <context name> "client" - if you run OB3 then you know what i mean):
    Code:
        <mousebind button="button 6" action="Click">
          <action name="execute"><execute>xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]"</execute></action>
        </mousebind>
        <mousebind button="button 7" action="Click">
          <action name="execute"><execute>xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]"</execute></action>
        </mousebind>
    all i have in my XF86Config is this:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"

Identifier      "Mouse - Logitech MX500"
            Driver          "mouse" 
            Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/usbmouse"
            Option          "Buttons"               "7"
            Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "6 7"

EndSection

Talking

HOLY Smokes Batman!

Openbox3 = wonderful

thanks for mentioning it, mouse problems are no more plus the interface is fresh n clean..........much like its cousin fluxbox.

Originally posted by Hayl
    to get the back/forward keys to work the way i do it, you need to use:

xvkbd | http://member.nifty.ne.jp/tsato/xvkbd/

and then use the native keygrabbing of your WM to map the buttons to xvkbd commands.

set mouse button 6 to:
    xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]"

set mouse button 7 to:
    xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]"

all i have in my XF86Config is this:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"

Identifier      "Mouse - Logitech MX500"
            Driver          "mouse" 
            Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/usbmouse"
            Option          "Buttons"               "7"
            Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "6 7"

EndSection
    Ya, I'm using KDE and can't seem to find anything in the control center about mouse key binding.

I think the most important problem now is that X doesn't even see events from my 8th and 9th (side) buttons through xev. So even if I do the key binding thing, I doubt it will work. Can someone tell me exactly what to put in my XF86Config file and what to put in my xmodmap command? What is posted above is for 7 buttons. I don't usually ask this, but can someone fill in the lines?

i have found that the scroll wheel actually act as 3 buttons
    scroll up
    scroll down
    pressing the wheel button

so unless X has a limit to how many mouse button it can see

my fancy book leaning would tell me that:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse - Logitech MX500"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "Buttons" "9"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

------------------------------------------------------

thats assuming that 6 and 7 would be your mouse wheel ( scroll up/down) buttons.

so what happens if xev shows butt 4/5 for scroll wheel or button number #
    is not showing up as where i want button # to be

thats where: xmodmap -e 1 2 3 6 7 4 5 8 9 (not sure it its that order) comes into play

it just rearanges which button is called what, like right click being button 3

well thats my understanding at least. correct me if i'm wrong.........

I have two scroll buttons--scroll up, scroll down, scroll left, and scroll right. I read somewhere (I think at XFree86.org), that you can get two scrollers to work via:

Code:
    Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    I did this and it works great. And this is without any mapping of keys with xmodmap. I believe the recommendation by moonchin to use
    Code:
    Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    would simply map my second scrollers to up down and then make my first scroller do nothing. I'll have to try it though over the weekend.

I do an "xmodmap -pp" and it shows 9 buttons, but the 8th and 9th never register events to X (through xev). Is there some 7 button limitation in X or something?
    Last edited by bsh152s; 02-21-2004 at 12:30 AM.

differences with X86Free

depending on which distro, the config file can be a bit messy.

i have found that some debian based distros still have not swapped over to X.org have changed slightly since my last post

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5 8 9"

is the exact verage that is needed to remap which keys are what on the mouse. on mepis at least.
    "I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell"