Red Hat Download - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Hat Download

RHEL3 Vs. Dead Rat 9

Hi.
    Just my twoppence, I'm running Red Hat Enterprise 3 at home on a server, it appears to be nothing more than a cut-down RH 9 ! Even the bloke at "freshrpms" acknowledges this. Not even a CD burner prog. to make backups!
    However, at work we've adopted it (and, like CaOS, created a customised version (logos, some company-specific tools etc.) ) and I run it on an IBM 600e laptop, with a badly-fractured hard drive (Such that I had to find the bits of the drive that worked, and were'nt nadgered and LVM them together)
    So, I've about 4Gb useable, and the Dead Rat Enterprise (no games, multimedia, emacs etc) takes about1.6G of that. Makes a darn good engineering tool.
    However,
    "Linux is Linux, whatever distro you use. The only difference between them (mainly) is package management"
    ..isn't strictly complete - I use SuSE on my home laptop (not the server) and find annoyingly that locations of files (e.g. Apache default homepage, etc) are very different. Causes me no end of hassle setting up.
    Even Webmin throws a wobbly sometimes....
    -Andy

If Fedora is working for you, go for it. They are all Linux. The main differences are packages included, and different install utilities.

CentOs does offer Redhat Enterprise LInux free, as long as they remove company name and logos.

RH and fedora are very close...RH lets the world kick fedora around a bit, then takes it and renames it RH, so you should be fine learning fedora and transfering that knowledge to redhat.