Is there a way to see what processes are using my network?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to see what processes are using my network?

Is there a way to see what processes are using my network?

I was wondering if there is a way to know what processes are using how much bandwidth. I have a netgear router

thanks

ntop i think
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Iftop will display the bandwidth usage on an interface.

Url: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/iftop/

- Suramya
    --------------------------------------------------
    My Website: http://www.suramya.com
    My Blog: http://www.suramya.com/blog
    Registered Linux User #: 309391
    --------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer:
    Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

netstat might be what you are looking for too

ethereal

thanks all

Anyone had a problem with their router, mine is a netgear mr814v2, where there will be periodic slow downs, and when I try and load pages it seems to a take a second or two and then it will load the page at full speed?

I honestly don't know what to do, the windows machine and mac on my network don't seem to be having problems and I don't know where to start.

thanks
    Last edited by ooagentbender; 06-12-2005 at 08:45 PM.

Oh! That may be the app. Why not try several different browsers or upgrade to the most recent release? I have the same problem with konqueror, but firefox/mozilla are OK.
    Last edited by phlipant; 06-12-2005 at 10:08 PM.

Also see what it says on the bar at the bottom of the browser(at least in firefox/mozilla)(bottom left says "Done" after the page is loaded). It will tell you what the slow step is. In my system, mozilla is somewhat faster than firefox, because firefox has a very slow DNS lookup step(I guess). It will hang for a short period(not always) stating "Looking up url". This never happens with mozilla.
    Last edited by phlipant; 06-12-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Originally posted by phlipant
    Also see what it says on the bar at the bottom of the browser(at least in firefox/mozilla)(bottom left says "Done" after the page is loaded). It will tell you what the slow step is. In my system, mozilla is somewhat faster than firefox, because firefox has a very slow DNS lookup step(I guess). It will hang for a short period(not always) stating "Looking up url". This never happens with mozilla.
    If you haven't already, you might need to disable IPv6 in Firefox. Check about:config and filter on "ipv6".

it seems to have trouble resolving the host whether it is mozilla, firefox (both of which are the most recent versions, I actually like to use epiphany from gnome for a couple reasons but it has the same problem. Is there something on my router that could be causeing the slow lookup? Do I need a dns server or something? Thanks for all your help, and I am not quite sure what you meant about ipv6, as far as what I should do, if you could give me a few steps to try I certainly will

thanks all

it is not likely a problem with your box, it sounds like a poor ISP response. You might try looking for a faster DNS server in your area.

find out if whois or nslookup is slow, but slow compared to what i`m not sure.

what cybertron meant was:

enter about:config in your navigation bar. Once the page loads, enter ipv6 in Filter:. Then toggle network.dns.disableIPv6 until it is true.
    Last edited by phlipant; 06-13-2005 at 12:16 AM.

Ok first off thanks for all your help guys, I tried switching on ipv6 but that didn't seem to make any sort of difference. I want to find a faster dns server but I don't know how to do that or to bind it so that I use that DNS server. I can use Dynamic DNS with my router if that helps, but any more information on choosing a local DNS server would be helpful.

thanks

I tried nslookup and heres what I get for google. hope this helps.

> google.com
    Server: 192.168.0.1
    Address: 192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: google.com
    Address: 216.239.37.99
    Address: 216.239.39.99
    Address: 216.239.57.99
    >

I am assuming the first two are my dns server which is my router, connected to my cable modem. Other than that I don't know what to make of it

one more thing, on my router config, the address for my dns servers are

if anyone knows where I can find better ones and how to use them for hawaii I would be rather appreciative

thanks

When i refered to nslookup i meant, "How fast is it?". On my system it is "blink and you miss it". If nslookup stalls, you have a definite ISP problem.

As far as finding a new DNS server, that is a very local issue. If you live on the other side of the planet, what good would my list of DNS servers do you? In addition, many DNS servers refuse connections from computers that do not have accounts. I suggest you ask some local geeks, if they know of any open domain servers in your area.