Ubuntu Screen Resolution

Thread: Ubuntu Screen Resolution

Ubuntu Screen Resolution

I just installed Ubuntu 5.04 64-bit, and I want to change my resolution, but it only gives me there options, none of which are the one I want. How do I change to something not in the list of available resolutions?

Re: Ubuntu Screen Resolution

Originally posted by JSimmons
    I just installed Ubuntu 5.04 64-bit, and I want to change my resolution, but it only gives me there options, none of which are the one I want. How do I change to something not in the list of available resolutions?
    You'll probably have to play with the x configuration - also, double check that you are using the best drivers for your gfx card.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

I had a problem with getting my monitors to accept anything over 1024x768 untill I set the horizontal and vertical frequencies correctly. Since I couldn't find them documented anywhere I just did minor increases to the values untill I could set it to 1280x1024. And I do mean minor. I must have restarted X a dozen times.

You have to becareful though. Setting it too high can cause damage or an out of range and then you will have nothing but a black screen and possibly a damaged monitor.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

I'm running an ATI X800XTPE and a 19-inch LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024.

Does ATI even make a 64-bit driver for Linux?

adding the following stuff to the x configuration file should give you more choises in screen resolutions

http://dsanta.users.ch/resources/del...ux.html#nvidia

Thinking it might have been a 64-bit install problem, I tried installing the 32-bit version last night. I found out it was an installation mistake on my part - I *thought* I'd selected the desired resolution, but I didn't.