Status of ALSA

Thread: Status of ALSA

silly sound question

Did the ALSA orginization go away? My sound card manufacturer directs me to their site for drivers, but there seems to be no site.

no, but it looks like their site is down temporarily (for me as well).

ALSA is in the 2.6.x linux kernel anyway so you should be able to just pick a sound card in your kernel config, if it isn't already compiled in.

if you need help, please provide as much information as possible... i.e. brand/model of sound card, linux kernel version. etc.

The problem is that it is an onboard soundmax card (chip). I can't find anything that says it will work since the ALSA site is down. I'm installing MDK LE tomorrow. The reason I gave up on MDK 9.2 a while back was the lack of sound. It did everything else I wanted, but how can I veg in front of a computer for hours at a time without a little music going? I should just break down and buy a real sound card. That's probably the path of least swearing.

I did a little bit of googling and it looks like soundmax uses the AC97 module, unless it is a different chipset than the one I found. Is it an Intel chipset?

See if your kernel has support for it or not, if not then recompiling it with AC97 should work.

well, the alsa site is up again...

and it seems I've read somewhere (forgot where exactly but I think its from gentoo) that it is better to compile sound support in the kernel as modules and then you can use newer sources from alsa and compile them. They say it has better sound support this way.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

I loaded up with module you said and works fine. Thanks for the help.