breaking into the 'enterprise'

Thread: breaking into the 'enterprise'

breaking into the 'enterprise'

no, i dont mean the space ship that flys around with Capt. Kirk... but i mean the large mega company. and by 'breaking into' i dont mean cracking into or taking a crow bar to their front door or computer systems.

the most linux servers in a company that i have admin'd was about a dozen.. not counting VMs and windows servers. in the 5 years ive tinkered with linux i think ive got a good amount of knowledge in this field, but i have a feeling that i would be at a big disadvatage if i ever applied to a large enterprise for a job because of my lack of experience in such an environment. moreover, i think some of these businesses lack an understanding on linux and opensource in general... for example, ive seen job postings asking for 5-10 years of enterprise grade linux experience... last i checked linux only was noticed by the enterprise a few years ago.

sure, i can always try landing entry level jobs at some big companies, but i might end up getting less than i make now... and thats not acceptable right now. im comfy with my job, but i was just wondering what things were like on the other side.

any thoughts or ideas? thanks

send out lots of resumes and keep your fingers crossed, worked for me and it only took 3 years

Take your chances, pretend you have the experience and "fake it till you make it".
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate