Mandriva LE install weirdness

Thread: Mandriva LE install weirdness

Question Mandriva LE install weirdness

When I put the Mandriva cd1 in my drive (with XP running), the autorun executes and brings up the pretty graphical install menu which refused any interaction with the pointer. So, I restarted the computer to boot off the disk and installed with a much less user friendly and uglier non GUI version. Has anyone else had this problem or knows why it happened?

In general, Linux is being installed by booting from a Linux CD. Most Linux distributions do have a GUI for that purpose and so did Mandrake the last time I looked into it - which is quite a while already.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Exactly correct...

When you put a Mandrake/iva CD in while Win is running, it autoruns to a special utility which has nothing directly to do with installing. It may allow you to create a boot floppy, and things like that. Or, it might give you some access to training. Like you, I have not bothered with that for a while, so am not sure of current structure.

OP Needs to read some more. All instructions, anywhere, and I suspect that includes the autorun utility, for installing Mandrake/iva will tell you to boot on CD, and may give you instructions how to proceed if this doesn't work. No where will it tell you to install by popping into a running Win system.

When I installed Mandrake 9.2, the autorun just restarted the computer (I think), but it didn't do it this time. The root of the problem is that the DrakX program didn't run. Mandriva hasn't posted the documentation for LE, but I assume that the installation instructions are the same since they look almost identical from 9.1-10.1. I'm assuming that they still use DrakX for a GUI installation. I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this. I'm not sure if I have a bad cd or what.

Quote Originally Posted by kingprawn
    When I installed Mandrake 9.2, the autorun just restarted the computer (I think), but it didn't do it this time.
    I would guess that they removed that on purpose. I imagine you can see how having your computer reboot because you put in a CD could be a problem, if one weren't expecting it to happen.

Did you by any chance change any graphics hardware (video card, monitor) since you installed 9.2? It sounds like the installer had trouble initializing the graphical install so it defaulted to text. That's just a guess though.

I would second cybertron's guess that it sounds like something went wrong initializing the graphics subsystem. I installed Mandriva LE 2005 last week and it was the same GUI installer that Mandrake has had for some time now. I would give it another try, but this time look at the kernel messages (press alt+f3, I think) and see if that gives any hint as to what the problem might be.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

It gives me the GUI for the first screen but not after that. Once I hit enter to install it goes menu based. I still have the exact same hardware I had with 9.2. It's probably just a problem with the cd or the download I used to burn it.

You could always try re-downloading the image or burning the ISO to another CD to see if that makes a difference. You could also check the MD5 sums on the ISOs you currently have to see if the images themselves are corrupted. The MD5 sums should be available from wherever you downloaded the images. HTH.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal