Has anyone downloaded Suse 9.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone downloaded Suse 9.3

Has anyone downloaded Suse 9.3

The dvd iso from ftp.suse.com is named SUSE-9.3-Eval-DVD.iso. Is it really an Eval version? Does it really expire or what?
    Linux is more friggin' addictive than caffeine.

Confidence is what you feel when you do not truly understand the situation (or question).

The software is not time-bombed to quit after a certain date. Those DVDs and ISOs that are referenced on the download page should be full blown installation media. Worst case scenario... you spend $1 on a blank DVD to find out.

irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

I believe that since SuSE was acquired by Novell, the "Eval" copies are fully functional, but come with no support. I downloaded 9.3 and installed it a while ago and it seemed to be all there.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Just my $2.50

Don't waste your time. SuSE 9.3 is about as reliable as Windows 98. I recently started to have some really odd issues with my SuSE installs. Things like settings being "forgotten" or network printers became inaccessible, even though no changes were made to the system other than the addition of 512MB of RAM. Then there is the speed issue. SuSE is slow to boot, slow to log in and just... slow. Same hardware is now running Ubuntu and performing 20-50% better and faster than the SuSE install (that was tweaked to the 9's and trimmed as much as possible!)

Bottom line... not worth your time.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

Did a little looking around and it seems that the Eval is a live DVD. The only non pay version avalable is 9.1 Personal.
    "If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it." -Linus Torvalds

SuSE Wirdness

So I have used SuSE for years and have never had the weird problems I have had installing 9.3 ,

Dell Laptop has trouble reading CDrom after initial kernel is loaded it took countless attempts to complete install after first try had anillated 9.2

GA7VR_XP Gigbyte AMD 2000+ system will not install got me on this it fails at different points each time durring setup CD or network install.

my ASUS A8V_DELUX AMD 64 system worked fine but it will crash if I use firefox everything dies except mouse pointer and cannot even kill X or switch to terminal with ctrl/alt/f*

its looks better though hahaha and BEAGLE is awsome but that took a bit to actualy get working.

This link should tell you what you want to know:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/15405.html

The suse 9.3 dvd is under ~ /i386/9.3/iso/

You can download 9.2... 9.3 download is a live CD...

just installed 9.2, i like it...

-Adam

"av8or" It does not expire, it might be missing a few non free packages but thats all.

"sharth" A link from "sharth" post, read it.
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02749#0

"Mklll Supra" I disagree 100% but is this a thread for flamewars ? (it is about installing Suse).

"DarkDexter" your just wrong, unless there is a "live" in front of it it is a "eval" with just some non free packages missing.

"Admstng" Your wrong but its just a few days sinse the 9.3 dvd came puplicly avalible.

Quote Originally Posted by frimann

"Admstng" Your wrong but its just a few days sinse the 9.3 dvd came puplicly avalible.
    Well thats just great... i JUST install 9.2 a couple days ago.... i'm sure i'm missing anything special any way...

-Adam

You can disagree all you want

Quote Originally Posted by frimann
    "Mklll Supra" I disagree 100% but is this a thread for flamewars ? (it is about installing Suse).
    But I stand by my asertation on SuSE 9.3. Having tried it on several hardware configurations I have found it to be slow, unreliable and pretty much a POS. As for starting a flame war... nope, stating my opinion based on my experience with SuSE, which I have used since 8.0 so I feel pretty darn confident that I am familiar with SuSE.

In my never humble opinion, 9.1 was the last of the good SuSE deployments, and ironically it was also the last time it was fully run in Germany.

Since the American company Novel has gotten Linux, it's quality and speed has drastically dropped. Again this is based on several installations on several hardware configurations. I have also experienced several times where doing something as simple as shutting a system down for a couple days while I am out of town then powering it back up upon my return has left me staring at a totally fubar system. Fubar in that it would fail to boot or the graphics wouldn't work or a user account was totally inaccessible.

I have seen these things with my own two eyes on my systems. And for the record, once I have a system set-up and functioning the way I want, I DO NOT tinker with it. I use it as is. And for setting SuSE up? I have had several occassions where I could not install a simple tar ball because some lib was not where the tarball expected, so I had to go and dig around and search and in many cases, never find the answer to my question.

For now Ubuntu and Mepis are doing what I need better than SuSE ever did. So my opinion once again is based on multiple system / configurations. Not one botched install on one system.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

SuSE 9.2 is free now? I just installed 9.1 on my old laptop today :-/. Is it free or can just net update form 9.1 to 9.2?
    "If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it." -Linus Torvalds

At the office I have to use SuSE due to it being supported by a company we resell hardware for (Unisys) I have worked with Novell Enterprise Linux in the desktop and server configurations. The server stuff is really solid and I have no complaints with it whatsoever, desktop is OK, and SuSE Personal is also OK. But to put it in perspective, my own workstations are both Slackware 10.1.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

SuSE x86_64 Update

So far i can say that this is the most unstable SuSE distro that I have used in years, It has the feel of an un finished product.
    It is funny the first time I tried to post this the system crashed before I was complete. I will continue to attempt to use 9.3 and try to get it stable but not sure what is the problem at this point.
    I just reinstalled the nvidia drivers for the video card and hope that is the correct fix as it seems that X is failing.