FC 4 Installation on laptop

Thread: FC 4 Installation on laptop

FC 4 Installation on laptop

I have an old Dell laptop with Windows 2000 professional. It requires tons of passwords and stuff to get on the internet, but I thought that I might be able to change that by installing linux. I prepared a six gig partition to be formatted, and selected only the essential packages from Fedora. I've tried three times, and each time it gets to the third disc of the Fedora installation, says it has eight minutes left, then randomly reboots the computer. The batteries ran out on the first installation, possibly at that spot. Would that be the cause of the problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Also, I wasn't sure where to put this. I installed Fedora Core 4 on my desktop. The first time it worked and I rebooted, I received no welcome screen, only a dos-like login. Well I reinstalled it and got it to work, but a few minutes ago it sort-of locked up. I would pick a program to run, and the mouse would turn to the hourglass, but the program never loaded. I finally logged off, but that didn't work all the way either; I stared at my wallpaper for five minutes before I manually pushed the power button. Now Fedora loads as that dos-like login screen again, and I would rather not reinstall it at this point. What do I do?

I've never installed fedora myself, but it should probably give you a graphical login screen when it boots (assuming it's like mandrake/driva or a whole load of other rpm based distros). If it gives you the bash prompt (your dos-like login), it's the same thing... login with your username and password, and then when it logs you in, try typing 'startx'.
    -----------------------
    "I wouldn't say there are no stable character attributes in a person
    that contribute to moral or immoral behavior, but they are far
    outweighed by where the person is, at what time, and with whom."
    -Lee Ross, coauthor of "The Person and the Situation: Perspectives
    of Social Psychology"

Registered Linux user number 332965

I personally have never used FCX .... You should try what Cudaman73 suggested . Or you could try Ubuntu which is really good , not to mention user friendly . However , you need a fast internet connection to download all the req apps . The .iso you d/load is only the main install disc. Ubuntu will fetch the rest from a mirror close to you . I tried FC4 , but my discs were bad , so i cudnt install it.

Just my 0.2 cents ,

xbaxe
    Last edited by XbaxeSysAdmin; 07-17-2005 at 01:43 AM.

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

That "dos-like-prompt" is astually your OS. Heh.
    You would do well to learn how to use it.

http://www.google.com/linux
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    That "dos-like-prompt" is astually your OS. Heh.
    You would do well to learn how to use it.

http://www.google.com/linux
    fro! how dare you suggest an rtfm.
    though i concur.
    -----------------------
    "I wouldn't say there are no stable character attributes in a person
    that contribute to moral or immoral behavior, but they are far
    outweighed by where the person is, at what time, and with whom."
    -Lee Ross, coauthor of "The Person and the Situation: Perspectives
    of Social Psychology"

Registered Linux user number 332965