RTCW Sound issue

Thread: RTCW Sound issue

Question RTCW Sound issue

Hello all. I have searched through the forum for this and got a few previous threads but nothing that seemed to help me. I am running Fedora Core 4 and it is configured to play sound through ALSA (XMMS works for example) but it refuses to play sound on Return to Castle Wolfenstein. This is in the output when I've run it from the terminal:

Code:
    ------- sound initialization -------
    /dev/dsp: Input/output error
    Could not mmap /dev/dsp
    ------------------------------------
    Any ideas? My soundcard is a Delta 66, and er, I am a bit of a newbie to linux btw so it would be great if you could speak to me like I was a three year old

d-kam.
    Last edited by d-kam; 07-06-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d-kam
    so it would be great if you could speak to me like I was a three year old
    There was this house up on the hill and in that house lived a small family of little people that made sound drivers

RTCW uses OSS for the sound output, you to make a new kernel that has OSS support for ALSA (which I don't feel like getting into the gory details of that now )
    there might be a better way, but I can't think of it at this time.

...you to make a new kernel that has OSS support for ALSA...
    Right that's all good, but is there a kernel fairy who comes in the middle of the night and builds new kernels for you? Jeeez, I think RTCW will be off the cards for a while then. Thanks anyway for pointing me in the right direction.

Dan.

Seems that the following worked for people with the same error message as you:

Code:
    echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
    By the way, you might need to be root to do this. Places I found it:

http://lists.alug.org.uk/main/2004-August/019438.html

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...74#post1709174

thanks quip, I knew there was another way but didn't know what it was
    I've always built my kernels with OSS emu because I run a lot of these older games that use only OSS

You can edit your et config file (in your ~/.wolfet IIRC) and change the sound device from /dev/dsp to /dev/alsa or whatever it needs to be

Quote Originally Posted by ph34r
    You can edit your et config file (in your ~/.wolfet IIRC) and change the sound device from /dev/dsp to /dev/alsa or whatever it needs to be
    That would be /dev/snd/pcmCXDX[something].

The first X depends on the card (I think). The second X depends on which device you want to use on that card (I think). The [something] is either c or p, but I have no idea what those mean.

In short: Good luck finding out which device to use.

That's why there's an Alsa library that you're supposed to use to play sound under Alsa. The library knows what device to use; the program doesn't need to know that. (And I very much doubt that an mmap of the Alsa device will work, either. It'll probably give the same or a similar error.)

quip's method of configuring the driver to allow W:ET to mmap /dev/dsp is a much safer route. (And actually, since /dev/dsp isn't giving a "no such device" error, d-kam probably already has the snd-pcm-oss kernel module loaded, which provides compatibility with most OSS operations.)

If you've got esd running, now would also be a good time to kill it Try running killall esd and then running RtCW (or is it ET you're running?) and seeing if it makes a difference......
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

I found some of the config files...

what do I do to edit it so I can have the game use ESD? (Enlightment Sound Daemon) instead of OSS?

SnaveZ
    Last edited by SnaveZ; 07-09-2005 at 09:23 PM.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies I've tried out
    but it didn't make a difference, so I have tried out
    echo "wolf.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
    but again no difference. I am running RTCW the commercial game rather than Enemy Territoy. I am wondering if it is something to do with alsamixer, as I turned down some of the volumes on it when I figured out that my soundcard was muted, which in itself took me a few days to work out! It's usually the simple things huh? I'll get back to you all when I have tried this. Thanks again!

Dan.

Nope, no joy... I'm running Fedora Core 4 at the moment, under Gnome. My soundcard is a Delta 66. Everything else is working smooth as, DVD, XMMS etc... Just this OSS compatibility. The output of the terminal HAS changed though, after running either...

or...

echo "wolf.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
    it now says...

------- sound initialization -------
    /dev/dsp: Invalid argument
    Could not set /dev/dsp to stereo=2------------------------------------
    Sound memory manager started
    Sys_LoadDll(/root/.wolf/main/ui.mp.i386.so)...
    Sys_LoadDll(/root/.wolf/main/ui.mp.i386.so) failed:
    "/root/.wolf/main/ui.mp.i386.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
    Sys_LoadDll(/usr/local/games/wolfenstein/main/ui.mp.i386.so)... ok
    Sys_LoadDll(ui) found **vmMain** at 0x25c7548
    Sys_LoadDll(ui) succeeded!
    Any ideas? Many thanks.

Dan

*EDIT* Don't know if this is any help, but this is what it says in the /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p info file:
    card: 0
    device: 0
    subdevice: 0
    stream: PLAYBACK
    id: ICE1712 multi
    name: ICE1712 multi
    subname: subdevice #0
    class: 0
    subclass: 0
    subdevices_count: 1
    subdevices_avail: 1
    Last edited by d-kam; 07-11-2005 at 01:21 PM.