Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 14

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 14 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Yea, it's no fun. But.. your point is?

Moved to /dev/random.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Originally posted by andysimmons
    I'm not sure I understand why you're posting this either...did someone tell you to uninstall Windows and try Linux? You can get a 2nd hard drive if you're really that set on keeping Windows the way it is, and just dual boot.
    I think its the other way around
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

I would say that it sucks to install windows.

Or you just never use windows....solves that pesky re-install, restore performance problem. Doesn't windows offer system backup? I backup my Linux system (root/users/downloaded/etc programs) because you never know when hardware will die.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

Originally posted by hlrguy
    Doesn't windows offer system backup?
    No
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Originally posted by serz
    No
    at least not good tools right out of the box but I find that norton Ghost works well at least for me
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Of course it sucks to install windoze.
    And of course it's worse to do windoze update:

Download for 45 minutes
    insert M$ office CD #1
    Wait
    insert M$ office CD #2
    Wait
    Repeat for the additional 20 updates

But we already knew that. What's your point?

Just don't use windoze for the internet. Then you never have to update it

I think this one needs to be merged into the "Hating Windows in a Nutshell" thread...
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Originally posted by Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379
    I think this one needs to be merged into the "Hating Windows in a Nutshell" thread...

I should have seen that coming

Well, my last post just marked my fifth contribution to this wonderful thread.

I have noticed that the MS bashing has slowed down substantially since when people finally realized the threads were all being merged.
    It's working.

~psi42

To the mods:
    I hate MS as much as the next guy, but this thread has become a big pile of stinking crap! You guys have merged so many barely related threads into this one that it's just become a big jumble of mixed up garbage. Good job!

P.S.
    Seriously though, in my unhumble opinion, I think this entire thread should be closed for the archives or deleted. I mean come on...

Originally posted by Sepero
    To the mods:
    I hate MS as much as the next guy, but this thread has become a big pile of stinking crap! You guys have merged so many barely related threads into this one that it's just become a big jumble of mixed up garbage. Good job!

P.S.
    Seriously though, in my unhumble opinion, I think this entire thread should be closed for the archives or deleted. I mean come on...
    Your disgust is exactly the intention of this thread merging endeavor.

I mean, I don't hate Microsoft, but apparently a lot of people do. We're trying to encourage less people to bash Microsoft and instead participate in our Help Forums. Personally, I believe one can be an FS/OSS advocate without bashing someone else's work. Heck, Sepero, you yourself stated in your old signature you don't support BSD because of its licensing. Yet, you don't dwell on it-- you actively help others in this forum. Many participants in threads such as these only use JustLinux as a breeding ground for distro zealotry and Operating System bigotry. Never once do they ask for help; never once do they give it.

That, and it got SUPER old seeing a new "Micor$oft SUX becuzz..." thread popping up every 8 hours or so...

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

To Alex:
    I agree, MS bashing threads get old quick. Since people like to do it so much, maybe MS bashing should have its own forum. An unmodded rant forum where posts are never displayed on the front page?

Maybe I should just be quiet now... heheh

P.S.
    I left my sig on for ya this time
    (yes, it has been toned down since its inception)
    Last edited by Sepero; 08-05-2003 at 02:27 AM.

Originally posted by Sepero
    P.S.
    I left my sig on for ya this time
    (yes, it has been toned down since its inception)
    Bah, don't worry about toning it down, that is, unless you've really changed your mind.

The BSD license does allow anyone to "steal" the code, if you will, but the purposes of the GPL and the BSD licenses are different. The GPL aims to have "free as in speech" software, wheras the BSD license simply wants to get the widest usage. And you get the widest usage by having the fewest strings attached, like it or not.

So, don't back down on your beliefs. If you really don't like the BSD license because it could end up helping Microsoft, then by all means, let people know that. Personally, I love FreeBSD, and I'm not changing, nor am I trying to encourage people to not use FreeBSD. But, I'm sure there are plenty of people unaware that the BSD license does allow works published under it to be used in closed, proprietary projects with few strings attached.

Microsoft is using linux??

http://www.itnews.com.au/storyconten...0&Art_ID=12731

got the link from a mailing list, hehehe
    "SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND" -mdwatts-

I like the last line of the article: "Nearly one in five small to mid-sized businesses are using linux on the desktop."
    I'm really f'lar. Just at work and forgot my password for the moment.