Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 21

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Lets just keep it simple. Linux rules cuz of the great look and feel, and stability. and windows sucks, is unstable, but i all use it for is just to play pc games. thats it.
    Death Metal

Originally posted by Sepero
    Hey proffy. Long time time no see.
    You know, you've always been my favorite troll on this forum.

good stuff

For any of you that don't know what a troll is:
    http://linuxlad.org/trolls.php
    good stuff
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Hey proffy. Long time time no see.
    You know, you've always been my favorite troll on this forum.
    Yawn

For those of you who don't know what it means when someone calls another user a troll, it means they have no argument.

-Proffy

Originally posted by proffy
    Yawn
    To Everyone: Please don't feed the trolls. They will always come back for more. Similar to retarded woodland creatures.
    Last edited by Sepero; 12-08-2003 at 02:53 AM.

Am I the only person who is shocked at this? If a chemist discovers a new drug today, and it's on the supermarket shelves tomorrow, how well was it tested? Is anyone testing this code? What kind of quality control is there?

And it really doesn't matter when you release patches if users don't install them. Just ask debian.

Or the .name registry site.
    Fortunately there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people testing this software....us! By us I mean the people who use it. It would be very irresponsible for a business to install a new untested patch on a mission critical server, so they probably don't right off the bat. They probably wait for the patch vendor to relase a final/stable version. Honestly, if you update a piece of code to fix one minor exploit, how much have you changed? How long do you really think it takes to find out if a patch works or not. Not very long because that patch didn't really change much of anything. Maybe a variable's scope, or perhaps it changes a static int to a higher value. If a patch makes a major change to software it usually becomes a release, which requires more testing.

Your analogy relating software to pharmacology is hardly a good one. Biochemestry is dealing with many unknowns, and could be fatal if a chemist "guessed" wrong. When patching software, the vendors know what they have, and know what they need to change. Thus there is very little guessing involved.

As for not releasing patches versus user's not installing them, you are way wrong there. If a company has the patches and updates available, they cannot loose face in the media, nor be held accountable by a business when their server fails due to a problem the patches would have corrected. Call any software company's tech support and tell them you have a problem. They will most likely ask, "do you have the latest version?". If you say no, what do you think they are going to tell you?

BTW: I install relevant patches on all production systems I admin. If other's don't it's their loss and they can't go crying to, nor blaming apache when their webserver get's cracked using the aforementioned exploit.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

To Everyone: Please don't feed the trolls. They will always come back for more. Similar to retarded woodland creatures.
    \

Hrm...maybe I shoulda read this before posted previously. Sorry.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

No prob

i hope your life insurance is up to date

A Perfect fit!

With this, Microsoft does not have to change a thing with their support pages or anything! When (not if, in this case) you crash, MS will still give you some useless information that doesn't relate at all to your situation, then when that doesn't fix it, they will blame it on bad drivers.
    Linux has changed me...
    I'm a GNU man now!

I guess

I must buy the Isuzu I wanted instead of the BMW now... At least it will be my fault if I have a smash, and not Microsoft telling me to have an accident!!!
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

now all the hacker out there can be turn to a car thief and play with a life size remote control car that could be fun !!!

Hey I'm liking the remote control car idea. I mean it's Microsoft right? So of course they're going to put wireless in it so they can keep track of you, and constantly remind you to buy their newest update. Why not also Include software to control the car if you it's stolen. Then we'd really have mass chaos from the crackers.
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

Am I the only person who is shocked at this? If a chemist discovers a new drug today, and it's on the supermarket shelves tomorrow, how well was it tested? Is anyone testing this code? What kind of quality control is there?

And it really doesn't matter when you release patches if users don't install them. Just ask debian.

Or the .name registry site.
    haha... I love it!!! for a minute there I thought u were a freak with a fascination with someone... then I read your page...
    Registered Linux User: #342515

Slackware 10 - kernel 2.6.10

AMD Athlon 3000+
    512 RAM pc2700
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated

www.rex-pro.com For life!!!

...as the line between cracker and nascar racer continues to blur...

Originally posted by blobaugh
    Hey I'm liking the remote control car idea. I mean it's Microsoft right? So of course they're going to put wireless in it so they can keep track of you, and constantly remind you to buy their newest update. Why not also Include software to control the car if you it's stolen. Then we'd really have mass chaos from the crackers.
    A positive point, I won't have to pay for valet parking!
    Linux has changed me...
    I'm a GNU man now!