Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 27

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Not at the time...ha ha joke on me.

I looked at the rest of the divisiontwo website after I posted...

Still, it is funny no matter the light it is looked at in...

That is sooooooo old now, that artical was doing the rounds last march!
    Main Computer: Apple eMac 1Ghz PowerPC G4, 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, ATi Radeon 7500, Mac OSX 10.4.5 Tiger.

Apple Power Macintosh Beige G3, 266MHz PowerPC G3 CPU, 128Mb SDRAM, 10Gb ATA HDD, 2mb ATi Rage Graphics Card, Mac OS 9.2.2 and Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 Sirius.

Registered Linux user number 314012

Let me tell you what windows will do to a mind- Bon Bon was looking out the window and the broomstick holding it up fell down. BAM! hit him on the head and he still can't remember past last Thursday. Watch out for Windows-they can be dangerous!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

OpenOffice does this pretty well, if its word documents you're talking about.

I don't understand that really, I've used OpenOffice to open word docs, powerpoint slideshows, and excel charts in Linux, so how is it a problem?

as for the togetherness of the 2, it wouldn't work out. MS wouldn't just give code, and Linux wouldn't just follow one standard. It might work if it could be agreed upon, but it doesn't seem like it. Also, isn't the good part of using linux is having it so it isn't a GUI frontend so much. I enjoy a GUI, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a GUI can be limited, and editing config files manually lets you do what you want. I thought this was the advantage.... but oh well, whatever IT Administrators need i guess.
    The Swain

dswain

Well I think it's a great idea. I don't use word or anything so I don't have to worry about anything lik ethat. Using IE in linux, I think would be a great thing. (They said in that link up there) that they had already done this and there are little or no noticeable glitches. So if I could IE on Linux I would. They also talk about making it so linux can do some basic things like "copy & paste" They are saying that they just want Linux to be more user friendly and be able to perform more smoothly.

Well people. Let me know what ya think because I am curious to see what most of you think.

Thanks

I do not want to agree to a microsoft EULA, I will gladly agree to GPL.

I can run IE right now in wine, there a scripts to install it automatically. I rather not support IE because web developers are finally conforming to standards instead of using IE's proprietary markups.
    Gentoo, Pentium 3 1000 Mhz, 500 MB Ram, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR AGP 8x using Nvidia drivers, Sound Blaster PCI = Esoniq 5880 AudioPCI (es1371), HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter = RealTek RTL-8139, SMC EZ Card

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine any good reason for running internet exploiter on a linux machine, why would anyone want to?

If I wanted a machine that ran like windows, i would run windows. (which, by the way I do on another machine) but not my Linux box, this is pure Linux. i don't even run WineX any more.

If someone sends me a document I cannot open, I don't open it. it is that simple, but, having said that OO.o works fine on 99.9% of any documents put out by MS Office (at least for now) until i run into a problem, I am not going to worry about it.

Just my 0.02

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

Cut and Paste!?!?

Originally posted by cereal83
    Well I think it's a great idea. I don't use word or anything so I don't have to worry about anything lik ethat. Using IE in linux, I think would be a great thing. (They said in that link up there) that they had already done this and there are little or no noticeable glitches. So if I could IE on Linux I would. They also talk about making it so linux can do some basic things like "copy & paste" They are saying that they just want Linux to be more user friendly and be able to perform more smoothly.

Well people. Let me know what ya think because I am curious to see what most of you think.

Thanks
    Uhhhh.... I don't know what planet you are on, but the cut and paste system works just fine. In some ways it's even simpler than cut and paste.

Hilite the text that you want to paste, move to where you want to paste it, and middle click. Operation done.

Then there are buffers to provide the cut and paste options that most people are used to as well.

Linux is extremely friendly. It doesn't try to do everything and be everything for everybody. Linux is a collection of small, specialized tools that each does it's one single specialized job very well, rather than attempting to be the multitool that is the end all be all of everything.

Let's see, this multitool only has at 30lb sledge hammer on it. Ok. Now we need to pound this 1" finishing nail into the wall to hang our 4x8 picture of our desktop on.
    Would you be so kind as to hold THAT nail???

hehehehe... It's funny that cut and paste is one of the basic tasks that they are concerned about.
    To be honest with you, I don't miss those pretty blue screens with all the white writing on them, that come up at the least opportune times that close the program that you were working on for the past 8 hours with out saving.

Now, if what's proposed is to make linux work like that, it's not worth it.

Also, there are standards that have been applied and are used in linux programs. Maybe they haven't been formalized, but they are there.
    Do you realize how hard it is for me when I have to use windows, and go to search for something with the forward slash and nothing happens???
    It's frusterating!
    Mozilla doesn't have that shortcut, and I find it frusterating when I'm looking on a web page, and have to use <Ctrl><f> instead of </>.
    So that's why when I need to find something on a web page, I use w3m to search!

There are standards that programs have man pages that list the options available. Most programs have the shortcut of -? to bring up a quick listing of the options with a short description of what it does.

There weren't any committee's set up to come up with these standards, they just evolved over time to what they are now, cause we all know that the quickest way to kill a project is to form a committee to discuss it.
    Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!

"B Gates" statement ... this will make you weep :)

According to this article (In Swedish)

http://www.idg.se/ArticlePages/20040...527_CS.dbp.asp

... he is going to give away ALL his money (50 billions) before he dies. His children will "only" get $10 million/each. That will at least keep them from starving

If we wasn't so hardened by his, and the company's earlier behaviour,
    you'd almost wanna buy a license for one of their products ))
    - "Internet is just a fashion craze".
    Swedish minister

Distro of my choice: Whatever I'm interested in.

I have nothing personal against Bill gates, other than selling buggy software at a premium price and telling lots of lies.

Ever heard of "trustworthy computing"? That was/is one of those lies.

Anyway, if Bill Gates has a naturally long life, that ten million won't be worth what it is now, in buying power. His children will likely get more than cash, property. Will probably be setup with cushy jobs or be given companies to "run". Will have the best education possible and get whatever remaining stock he owns.

They definitely won't have to work for a living. I'm starting to feel sad for them already.
    Linux User 281229

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-FNN

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."

Thugged Out.

I have always felt sorry for the Gates family. I think that he should give 90 % of it away to charity's, Some aids and cancer stuff. Then 5% to the further development of Linux and then 2% to his kids and 2.5% to Random people. Then with the 0.5%... well use for his HUGE funeral!
    Life is a path... Death is a destination.
    Linux newb, but i know TCP/IP for some reason...
    Registered Linux User #341194

The blue-screens aren't really blue any more. Windows XP was tweaked a bit to reboot faster than you will notice the blue screen. The problem is still there, though, you just don't see it like in older versions.

Cut and paste has never been easier, IMO. It's almost identical. ctrl-c & ctrl-v, no problem, except in Linux you have more options with it.

Linux crashes? I've had one in two years, by that I mean a legitimate crash. I've had more, but those were my own fault for not compiling and installing kernel's correctly, can only blame myself for that.

IE fast? Not for me. The fastest browser I've ever used would be Opera, fast on Linux and Windows.

"I have my likes and dislikes about MS and the same with Linux but if I had to choose one it would be Windows and I bet atleast 90% of the people in the world agree with me "

That's not a fair statement, because that 90% can't get AOL or MSN to run on Linux. Basically, they've never tried it, and if a person hasn't tried it they're opinion of it is worthless, null, void.
    Linux User 281229

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-FNN

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."

Thugged Out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I f***ing hate it when the mods combine threads in to this masive pile of **** they call Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" Thread. this is bull****. I was reading a thread that was not even MS bashing and they still moved it in here. cut the **** guys. nazi bastards!!

BaVinic
    Last edited by BaVinic; 01-22-2004 at 11:07 PM.
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

Originally posted by cereal83
    Also I dunno what Blue screens you are talking (I do know but I don't) On xp I haven't had a blue screen for as long as I owned it (6 months)
    I agree. It doesn't seem to have bluescreens anymore.

What it _does_ do is lock up / become completely unresponsive, as in you can't get to the task manager to kill the nasty program that's taken over, you can't click anything... You hit ctrl-alt-del and you end up with a blank (light) blue screen... I suppose it's a new 2k/XP "friendly" bluescreen, except it isn't informative at all.

On the other hand, on the same box (dual-boot), Linux is rock-solid.

(To paraphrase what I wrote in the 'Linux Crash' thread, I run a tight ship - I tend not to have any unnecessary things installed, eg. I didn't install winamp until yesterday because I haven't needed it, etc. So I doubt it's malware.)
    "Heisenberg may have been here."

I know, I hate that they moved this topic into here because this isn't a topic about "hating Microsoft" It was a thread about a link to cnn where they said there were going to make linux more "user friendly" and compadible with microsoft.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I f***ing hate it when the mods combine threads in to this masive pile of **** they call Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" Thread. this is bull****. I was reading a thread that was not even MS bashing and they still moved it in here. cut the **** guys. nazi bastards!!

About the blue screen, I am sure it is still there but I don't see it. The worst problem I have had was when msn wouldn't work. when I tried to open it it would cause the system to run really slow and until I did crtl-alt-delete and ended the tast it was slow but as soon as I ended the task it was back up to normal speed.
    The blue-screens aren't really blue any more. Windows XP was tweaked a bit to reboot faster than you will notice the blue screen. The problem is still there, though, you just don't see it like in older versions.

I have never tried Opera and maybe I should look into it if it's faster then IE.
    IE fast? Not for me. The fastest browser I've ever used would be Opera, fast on Linux and Windows.

well 90% is probably a little high but I am sure the numbers are high.
    That's not a fair statement, because that 90% can't get AOL or MSN to run on Linux. Basically, they've never tried it, and if a person hasn't tried it they're opinion of it is worthless, null, void.

Linux crashs:On Mandrake 9.2, I have been using linux and it totally frooze and I couldn't do anything. I was just web browsing when this happened.
    I also had it happen many times when i tried to run a program and I got an error and a window showing me the coding of the error. I have never had crashes or errors like on win 95 but I still saw them on Mandrake. On Fedora The only problem is my soundcard and if I run the config everytime I start, it works fine.

Also, about the copy and paste, I am not saying that you can't copy and paste, the webpage up there is saying that. Just thought I would clear that up. I know ctrl-c and crtl-v work and when I am in linux it works fine except in a terminal. Then I have to right click and copy then paste.