AVI audio too slow

Thread: AVI audio too slow

AVI audio too slow

I have an AVI file, one of a series of 13 such files, apparently coded in the same way, and in one of the files the audio plays at a rate which is far too slow. I'm not sure if the file is just badly encoded or if I'm missing some codec.

How can I found out with mplayer or xine if I have all the correct codecs to play a file?
    Athlon 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, Mandrake 10 Official, KDE 3.3.0, kernel 2.6.3-13mdk, nVidia GeForce FX5200, chaintech 7AJA2 mobo with onboard sound.

how large are the AVI files? I've had problems of this type in Linux and Windows when playing very large video files... (such as divx movies around 650MB and up)...

Tim
    History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.
    That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.

~Calvin (and Hobbes)

MPlayer's output usually tells you what codec it's using. Of course, if you don't know which it's supposed to be using in the first place that probably doesn't help much. You can also try starting it with a couple of -v switches to make the output more verbose, although I suspect most of it only means anything to the developers.

They're 350 MB. I downloaded the one that doesn't play properly again from 2 different places, and the problem is identical in all.
    Athlon 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, Mandrake 10 Official, KDE 3.3.0, kernel 2.6.3-13mdk, nVidia GeForce FX5200, chaintech 7AJA2 mobo with onboard sound.

Hmm, I installed Xine and VLC and it plays perfectly in those. Bizarre.