=JL= tags

Thread: =JL= tags

=JL= tags

I was wondering about the use of =JL= tags to denote "special" users. these would be issued after an assessment of the candidate by the admins and mods. These would be assessed not on technical skill but on community spirit and would give regulars a goal to aspire to and let newbs know who to trust. Tags are used very successfully on other forums I attend. I believe they could work here too.

On the other site they are by invitation (of the mods and admins) only.

gmarappledude =JL=
    hee hee

I think it's a good idea, myself.
    -----------------------
    "I wouldn't say there are no stable character attributes in a person
    that contribute to moral or immoral behavior, but they are far
    outweighed by where the person is, at what time, and with whom."
    -Lee Ross, coauthor of "The Person and the Situation: Perspectives
    of Social Psychology"

Registered Linux user number 332965

I'm not sure because when you have "special" users then that arises compitition for who is the most "trustworthy" and such. And really I see no reason for such tags when there is no problem knowing who to trust: you trust the ones you want to by the way they treat you and how well they help you, not by a "=JL=" tagged onto their name by some "maybe" "trustworthy" admin.

Mod, respected user, or other.

Trust noone.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

plus, we're all wrong at some point, and I've seen people fill answers on their first post to the site. It's not really worth the overhead / trouble imo...

Heck, after chilling around here for awhile, you start to learn who to trust anywho.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Good points guys. Was just thinking about it last night and wanted other points of views.

I personally think the idea is good, but the problem is the frequent change of users.

In my years of JL experience I have seen the huge mass of users who just quickly stop by at the board to get a specific problem solved. Then there are those who are very active for maybe one or two years until they disappear again. And finally there are those who stay for several years and have thousands of posts on their belt. Yet even these veterans break away after a while since noone posts here forever.

Furthermore, moderators don't live forever either, so there will come the point in time again when we need valuable members of our community to join us in Bryan's basement and sllave away on a pizza/coke diet.

So, in other words, a =JL= tag isn't exactly needed as the number of posts already is a good indicator. Plus what good would it be if we had 500 =JL= members but only 2 come back regularly to post?
    Last edited by Parcival; 07-30-2005 at 06:47 AM.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)