Silicon Image 3112A SATA Raid on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

Thread: Silicon Image 3112A SATA Raid on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

Silicon Image 3112A SATA Raid on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

Well I have searched google, these forums, linuxquestions.org's forums and haven't found any solution, but many old posts stating this has been an issue. I recently downloaded Fedora Core 4, this is my first go at Fedora, or any Red Hat related linux, I've been running Slackware for a while now, but I wasn't using my SATA raid.

Anyway, I have a SATA RAID Silicon Image 3112A on-board (fakeraid) controller, that locks up the install when it tries to load the drivers. Here is the exact problem I have.

The installer starts and tries to load the sata drivers:

Loading sata_sil driver Disabling IRQ #11

It says the above and hangs. Anybody know where I can go with this. I have only SATA drives in this system now, they are striped, and half of the total stripe is dedicated to linux, while the other half is for windows.

i cant really offer much help other than to say that i have the exact same board running FC4 with a sata drive. the only thing i can think is it might be having an issue with the array... try disconnecting the windows drive and see if you can install

Tim
    History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.
    That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.

~Calvin (and Hobbes)

I had one of those....I think the module was called sil_3112
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Tim,

Windows is on a partition which is part of the striped array (2 raptor drives). You didn't have any issues at all installing the system? Are you using a sata drive solo without an array, if thats the case, then I'm sure it has something to do with RAID.

je_fro

From everything I have read, I need to be loading sata_sil which supports 3112, 3114, etc...

I will check though to see if there is a sata_raid driver or something along those lines. I have read people getting it to work, but only after the fact and as additional drives for storage or what not.

Okay, after digging and messing around, I've figured out how to actually start the graphical installer. I had to reserve IRQ 11 in my BIOS, as well as type:

linux pci=noacpi

I saw that ACPI was assigning some PCI Interrupt Link to IRQ 11, and was like, well that could be a problem if my sata drives needs 11. So to remedy that, I had to turn off acpi. Well the issue was still there. So then I go in my bios and reserve the IRQ (tried this before and didn't work). After placing it in reserve and passing the pci=noacpi, I can now get into my installer. Problem is, it doesn't see my hard drives. Should only show up as one partition, but still no luck.

Anybody have any idea what I could do now?

modprobe sil_3112?

--Andrew Morton on RMS

The module for this device is sata_sil, which has support for the 3112 version. Even so, how would I do a modprobe during the installation, before getting to the hard drive and partition selection / creation portion of the insatllation.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbush82
    Tim,

Windows is on a partition which is part of the striped array (2 raptor drives). You didn't have any issues at all installing the system? Are you using a sata drive solo without an array, if thats the case, then I'm sure it has something to do with RAID.
    no issues installing.

the system even has windows and linux on seperate partitons on the same sata disk. using a Seagate 200GB drive:
    first installed windows 2000 on a 100GB partition (win2k needed a driver disk to get up and running otherwise it didn't recognize the drive)
    then installed FC4 on the other 100GB, it auto-detected the windows install and setup grub for me... no issues...

i do have just the one drive installed however, so i'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

good luck!

Tim
    History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.
    That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.

~Calvin (and Hobbes)

there should be kernel parameters that you pass at boot time...try hitting F2, F3, etc....it should tell you what they are.

--Andrew Morton on RMS