Which Distro to start with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Distro to start with?

Which Distro to start with?

Hi All.

I am new to Linux and have been using Windows 95 and 98, but would like to slowly transfer to Linux.

I have 466mhz 64mb and 166mhz 24?mb systems and would initally install Linux on the 166 system.

Which Distro to start with? I would like one that is easy to install and will do the basics of web surfing and email.

Advice appreciated.

Best wishes...

Welcome to JLC and the world of Linux. I'm not going to suggest any specific distro as this has been covered on this board many times. I am going to suggest you do a forum search.

Use the terms 'older hardware' in your search and you will come up with many suggestion on distros. There are a few distros specifically for older hardware, but you will have to decide which one sounds best to you. From you post you don't have the greatest horsepower in your systems, but this is where linux can excell at times. Bringing new life into the old.

Once you settle on a distro come back here if you have install problems or need advice.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    I kind of have a different view on this subject. Back when I started, in 1996, there were no "easy" distros. It also depends on what you mean by "easy." Are you defining "easy" as the most "Windows like?" Try Mandriva or maybe even use a bootable CD version, like Knoppix. If you're up to the challenge and prepared to climb the mountain from the bottom up, I'd try a "hard" distro, like Slackware. In the end, you'll find that it isn't a matter of hard or easy, it's just a matter of how much you want to learn. Either way, good luck!
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

If you try to struggle with a stripped down Linux to fit on that 24meg system, you'll be frustrated. Even 64megs is a stretch. Do you have a workstation with at least 160megs of memory? If so, then your best introduction to Linux could be Mepis, a LiveCD based on Debian.

The main benefit of a LiveCD is that you can run it without installing ANYTHING on the hard drive. Thus, you can use your latest and greatest workstation without commiting to anything. It won't be as fast or responsive as a hard drive install, but it'll be better than running on an old Pentium 166!

If you like Mepis, you can install it on your hard drive using the LiveCD also (with Mepis, the LiveCD and the install disc are one and the same--with some other distributions, the LiveCD is different from the install disc). You don't need to sacrifice your existing Windows setup. Instead, you can dual boot with Windows in your main partition and Linux in a smaller partition (3-4gigs is good for Mepis).

That said, you CAN get Linux running well on the 64meg machine, and you can get it running okay-ish on the 24meg P166. However, it'll be an uphill battle since you'll be forced to use less userfriendly lightweight software with a lot of manual configuration in text files. If you just LOVE manually editing the Windows 95/98 registry, then you might love this manual text file configuration stuff also! If not, then something like Mepis will be a far more pleasant experience. It has a lot of user friendly graphical configuration tools.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Wow, what wonderful responses!

JamminJoey, I have searched "old hardware" here and found some good pointers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Isaac, thank you for your informative response. I only have the 2 computers I mentioned - with the small amounts of Ram. I like the idea of running as a live cd and being able to install from it. I am wary of getting to like a distro on live cd and then not being able to install it, or being unable to get a version that is installable. I have checked out Simply Mepis and have ordered a CD. Your response was the deciding factor. Thankyou.

Klakenfus, Slackware sounds interesting, and I may well look at that later. My initial understanding is that with this distro you can install what you want and add to it from the cd as the need arises.

Thank you All for a great welcome to Linux...

With best wishes...

I'm sorry--with only 64megs of RAM SimplyMepis will Simply Choke. It's pretty greedy when it comes to RAM. I wouldn't try running it with less than 160megs of RAM.

I've gotten cheap older RAM modules from http://www.compuvest.com/. Make sure to get the right type and bus speed! Do you have any idea what sort of processor you have?

If it's a Pentium II or a Pentium II Celeron (i.e. the processor is on a card in a slot and says "Celeron" on the card somewhere), then you'll want PC66 SDRAM 168pin--try a couple 64meg modules (for a total of three, assuming you've got one 64meg module in there right now). Otherwise, you probably want PC100 SDRAM 168pin--either 2 64meg modules or 1 128meg module.

RAM modules can run slower than their rated speed, so PC100 will work if your front side bus is only going at 66mhz. Similarly, PC133 will work if your FSB is only 100mhz.

There are some smaller liveCD distributions like DamnSmall Linux, Feather, and Puppy which will run comfortably on 64megs of RAM. However, they acheive this by stripping things down and presenting you with less user friendly and less capable software.

Hi Isaac, thanks for the follow up.

I live in New Zealand and am now looking at the prices of second hand ram here. I do not know what sort of processor I have. The 64 meg machine is a Dell GX100 and it says "intel inside". I will look inside later to see if I can see if it is a Celeron and what is written on the ram. If I do a Google the info written on the ram that should tell me what sort it is shouldn't it?

I am also looking at the smaller distros you mention. Puppy and DSL are front runners at the moment.

Having fun here, hope you are too,

The exact processor type is not important. I was just asking because it would help narrow down exactly what type of RAM you need. Since it says "Intel", then it's definitely a Pentium II or Pentium III (possibly "Celeron" also). Since it's Dell, it isn't some bizarro hybrid mobo or server mobo with strange RAM--it'll be using 168pin SDRAM. Now, the question is what the frontsidebus speed is. It'll either by 66mhz or 100mhz. If you get PC100 RAM, then it'll work. If the only RAM you can get your hands on is PC133, then you might want to check your FSB speed first (hopefully it's 100mhz).

You may be able to tell what the FSB speed is just by booting up the computer and going into the BIOS screen (you may need to press <F1> or <del> after turning the computer on to get to the BIOS, or maybe some other key). Many BIOS screens will show you somewhere what the Front Side Bus speed is, somewhere.

You should open up the computer anyway, just to see how many memory slots are available and how many are occupied already. The memory slots will be in a group of long parallel slots, with at least one memory module inside. You MIGHT find the existing memory module labeled with helpful information, but probably not. You're more likely to find helpful information out in the BIOS.

In any case...if upgrading RAM is too expensive and/or inconvenient, your best option will be to start with a small distro like Puppy or DSL. The learning curve will be steeper, but who knows? You may find the challenge more rewarding, in the end. I haven't played with the small distros myself, but others will be able to help you out.

The GX100 is a very solid machine, and with some extra memory should make a really nice Linux box for you.
    If you still have Windows running on it, there is a program called CPU-Z that will tell you everything you want to know about your processor, memory (amount and speed), and even some limited info about your motherboard. You can download it here.
    Just unzip it and double-click the cpuz.exe file.

I'll also mention that I started out as a noob with Slackware, and have enjoyed using it ever since! There's also a lightweight version of it called Zenwalk Linux (formerly MiniSlack).
    It's basically Slackware on a single CD, with a lightweight and resource-friendly desktop environment called XFCE. I have run it on a PentiumIII 64MB RAM machine with surprisingly good results. It's worth a look for your system.
    Last edited by psych-major; 08-12-2005 at 04:14 PM.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    Since it's Dell, it isn't some bizarro hybrid mobo or server mobo with strange RAM--it'll be using 168pin SDRAM.
    I currently have a love/hate relationship with Dell, but back when your Optiplex was made, they were the undisputed king of the rugged workstation line of PC's. They also have excellent documentation on their website.
    You can even get the service tag number from the back of you machine, and look up the exact specs of your machine when it shipped from their factory!
    BTW, yours does appear to have a Celeron, and has two standard PC100 DIMM memory slots each capable of holding a 256meg stick of memory for a total of 512meg.

You can get good prices on memory here, and the shipping to New Zealand is about $20.00.
    Last edited by psych-major; 08-12-2005 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

psych-major, there you go again with that "internet" whatchamagidget.

I'm so glad Al Gore invented it. Otherwise I'd be really bored!
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Just for future reference crucial.com can tell you what kind of ram you need for 99% of factory systems.

GX100

Not saying to buy it from them, though i often do, but it will give you very good details on what memory you need.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Simply Mepis, Ram is cheap

Go with SimplyMepis. The autodetection and ease of installation are the best linux has to offer. I have run it on a laptop with a 675 MHz pentium III processor and 128 MB RAM without problems. You might as well max out the RAM your motherboard can support. RAM is cheap. What are the sizes of your hard drives? This might pose a problem for installing SimplyMepis. I'm guessing the 166 has below 2 GB, and the 466 has ~4 GB. The latter might work, but I don't know about the former. Puppy and Damn Small are supposed to be pretty nice for old hardware.
    Last edited by ehawk; 08-12-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks for the great info guyz . A friend has just bought a second hand Dell GX110 after his previous one of the same model had smoke coming from the power supply. Apparently when it has been delivered and set up sweetly I may get one of the 128gb ram sticks from the old machine.