Installing Fedora like Windows Installs (read for explanation)

Thread: Installing Fedora like Windows Installs (read for explanation)

Installing Fedora like Windows Installs (read for explanation)

I've noticed with many distributions that it is near overwhelming on knowing what program does what, and what to select during the installation process. Does anybody know of a simple way to install Fedora with just GNOME or KDE (any window manager) and the basic applications.

I'm aiming for something similar to a post-Windows installation. Once you have the OS up and running, you have very few program actually installed, such as paint, calc, etc... Only then do you start installing 3rd party software.

Is there a list, or file someone has created that can be loaded during setup that works like this?

With fedora, you could always use kickstart to pre-select packages, update upon install, or even run custom scripts post-install.

Do you know where I can find any of these already made up?

i haven't installed Fedora in a while, but every time I did it, I got asked for what packages I want to install. Minimum install is like 1.5g? and "everything" is over 4 Gigs.

Does Fedora not have this option anymore? I know some version changed the verbage of that question near the end of the install....like "Server" or "Laptop" instead of "Pick what packages you want"...watch for it closely.

Thats the thing, there is no way that a minimal install is 1.5 gig.

hmmm....thats sounds like a challange....

Which version are we talking about here? FC1/2/3/4?

Or maybe i misunderstood...your saying a plain vanilla OS install should not take up even 1.5 gigs?

Your right....then I don't think Redhat/fedora is the way to go.

DSLinux is 50megs, and that has a ton of 3rd party stuff.

Slax Popcorn can load into RAM and run without the CD!! Thats way cool.

its been awhile for fedora, but if memory is correct, you can choose,

Desktop, server, workstation, etc

then

choose full or minimum.

If you do a server install and then choose packages, you can cut down the size of the install.

I think

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Similarly to soule, when I want a *light* SuSE System (yes, the term's salted with irony), I select in YaST to have the packages installed for a command line system only. This reduces the installlation to a necessary minimum for SuSE. After that you can happily add the desired packages manually.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

as a note, I just noticed that according to the gentoo handbook, the minimum space required to install gentoo is 1.5 GB plus swap.

I dont know what we are supposed to do, I guess I am going to have to wait till hard drives get cheap and someone comes up with one bigger than 10 GB.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag