IRC (Instant messaging) beginners guide?

Thread: IRC (Instant messaging) beginners guide?

IRC (Instant messaging) beginners guide?

Hi, Folks.
    Now, call me stupid (if you do, I'll punch your lights out! ) but at my age I've never used IRC. Sounds like fun, but does anyone know of a good step-by-step tutorial?
    Web seems absolutely stuffed when I G4L "IRC", and I'll be an old(er) man when I finally figure it out.
    Using Red Hat Enterprise 3, if it helps
    -Many thanks
    -Andy

Lightbulb

don't use Google for Linux, use just regular Google and you will find quite a few good sites for IRC help.

Google Search Results for: irc guide
    Last edited by Hayl; 08-18-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andycrofts
    Now, call me stupid (if you do, I'll punch your lights out! ) but at my age I've never used IRC.
    Its kinda weird, but I missed out on that 'scene' too. Hurmph.

Sorry if you were expecting something usefull... uhm... google and all that.
    "...the TCO for the Windows Server System was about 20% less expensive than Linux."
    --Keith Morrow, CIO, 7-Eleven, Inc

"We got to market 6 months faster, and saw 14 percent in cost savings over Linux."
    --Owen Flynn, CTO, Equifax, Inc

Microsoft Server System, Get the facts!

Thanks, Hayl

don't use Google for Linux, use just regular Google and you will find quite a few good sites for IRC help.
    Thanks, mate! first few hits were good 'uns!
    Interesting to know what the other folks use as clients, too. Heard that Moz/Firefox can use URL directly, as in (something like) irc://pr0n.chatroom.wherever.com
    -Andy

Footnote - yep, it can. Did a google and found addon for Firefox is ChatZilla. Seems everything with --Zilla at the end's damn good. Trying to get my company (large Finnish phone maker ) to approve FileZilla, cos it just "does what it says on the tin" - a breeze. Saved my neck a couple of times! Windowz, only, however. But, if that's what I have to use at work, great for transferring files without this Samba/Windows2K setup pain.
    Last edited by andycrofts; 08-18-2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added footnote.

Start by getting a client installed - Chatzilla works fine and is probably a good start.

Join a server - irc.freenode.net is a very popular one. use the command /server <servername> to connect. (All commands start with /)

Join a channel - all channels start with #. Try /join #justlinux for the unofficial JL channel.

Chat away!

The only other commands you are like to use are:

/me <action> - inserts your username so that you can perform 'actions'
    eg /me dances with joy becomes:
    *mrben dances with joy

[/b]/msg <username> <text>[/b] - opens a private message with that user
    eg /msg mrben hello will open a private message (aka 'pm') with me

[/b]/quit[/b] quits

Also, you can tab-complete peoples names.

HTH as a starter. See you on #justlinux
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

hah i remember using IRC back in the day to look for things that you would normally use torrents P2P or usenet now. Well I guess usenet was good back then too but I sure didnt know about it.

What a pain in the *** it was then to find things you were looking for.

Thanks, Mr. Ben!

I'll give it a shot Sat. aftenoon once I've rebuilt the network (and washed the damn wooden floors! Finns and their love for nature.....No carpets in MY bathroom, just Lino. )