DHCPD on only one (eth0) interface

Thread: DHCPD on only one (eth0) interface

DHCPD on only one (eth0) interface

Hi
    Yep, I've G4L'd, but I guess my question was too vague.
    Almost got lynched a few weeks ago, as I had a connection (eth0) to a cluster which needed dhcp to get it's IP.

dhcpd was running.

Unfortunately, I also had eth1 connected to the office LAN. I'm a lazy bugger, and I don't wanna go down 5 flights of stairs into the "dungeon" to use the cluster.
    Think you can guess what happened...many folks in the office were getting a "192.168.0.X" address when they rebooted (often ) We've almost a thousand people at this site.

So, how can I tell the dhcpd.conf file howto only provide dhcp to eth0 ?
    Believe me, I've read the help files (have those guys got an attitude, or what?) and G4L'd it, but can't find the answer.
    Surely, it's simple. I just don't see it
    (incidentally, I don't want to use the 'bind-to-MAC-address' option - I may have to connect to different clusters/ boxes in the same day, and to reconfigure that file would be a pain in the trouser department.....)
    -Thanks
    -Andy

You could firewall it off on the LAN side nic... but IIRC there is a "listen to interface" option.

Add the interface to your start script by adding the interface (eth0, eth1 etc..) after the command. For example..

/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd eth0
    Join #justlinux on irc.freenode.net

Thanks, Gertrude

..Thought it was gonna be simple!
    I can now see it at the end of the "Synopsys" part of the man page, but as man pages are designed to be particularly obscure (and this one does a good job!), it's not described anywhere.
    -Andy
    Last edited by andycrofts; 08-24-2005 at 12:43 AM.