iPod confusion

Thread: iPod confusion

iPod confusion

Hello all,

Been a while since I've posted here (just after the days of linuxnewbie.org). I've been using my iPod with Linux pretty regularly, although I should make it clear that I don't *run* Linux on my iPod. I use 'gtkpod' as an interface.

The reason for my post is that - for my iPod mini, which is the newer 4g model, gtkpod doesn't see more than 850Mb left in 'effective space', when I've only got under 850Mb on it. I've searched around the 'net, but I can't find the reason behind it. Would anyone know if there's a problem w/ Linux (2.60) seeing things clearly as far as the iPod drive is concerned (Mac formatted)?

Cheers.

Hmm, I'm not sure. A friend of mine had a 60 GB iPod Photo and it wasn't showing the right amount of free space either. He ended up re-initializing the firmware and everything on it. After that it reported the correct amount of free space. He never did figure out why the problem occurred in the first place.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Heh don't know if this could help but I had an issue in windows useing my 4gb mini. I had installed for use on my desktop before I started mounting some shares, i do not use the ipod as a portable hard drive either...One Day I was getting a reading of 60gb of free space while trying to upload some new music and was checking the ipod and nothing changed, I did a comlete reset thinking it was the ipod and erased the entire ipod but still a misreading and nothing uploading into the ipod...It took me a while but I then realized the size being read was that of one of my mapped dirs...I guess the ipod secretly was useing the drive letter.

That being said gtkpod could be doing something for efficiency or somthign that uses a portion of memory, that in the low end reads wrong dirve space, wouldn't know exactly but hey its a long shot...
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

It made all the difference in the world when I used GNU parted to reformat mine. Then I let gtkpod redo everything from scratch, but I had a different problem...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto, 1941