debian, which cds?

Thread: debian, which cds?

debian, which cds?

hey all,

have another question for all debian gurus here,

on debian site, you can download "sarge" by bittorrent and there are like 10 cds! I know some of the later ones are source code and apps. But which cds do you actually need to install debian? like just discs 1 and 2? 1,2,3 etc.

thanks,
    schunn99

you only need 1 install CD to install debian. the rest you can apt-get later over the internet.

if you have a broadband connection you can just get the netinst cd which is just over 100mb

i burnning cd1 and cd2,and installed the system from the two cds.

Hell no, don't download those 10 cds! I'd go for dkeav's suggestion, unless you don't have a broadband connection.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Even if you don't have a broadband connection, that's all the more reason not to download 14 cds. You can install Debian from 1 cd or two and automatically download and install all the software you need bit by bit with apt-get. I'd be happy to help you with that if you need help... pm me. If you do have a broadband connection, your best bet really is the net install, which is actually pretty easy and takes me about an hour total with a dsl connection. The net installer can be downloaded here. I'm going to assume that you'll want to check the "desktop environment" option when you install.

After you've installed Debian off the net, you can find more information in this thread.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 09-04-2005 at 12:18 PM.

hehehe... You can install the base system with 5 files! 4 of which fit one their own floppies.

But I agree, the install CD is much easier to use!
    Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!