Trying to get Non-MS Tech Support (semi-funny)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get Non-MS Tech Support (semi-funny)

Trying to get Non-MS Tech Support (semi-funny)

This is an old text conversation that I had while trying to purchase a 56k modem. I found it while deleting some old files. I thought it was mildly humorous, so I decided to share.

Chinwe is the tech support. Me is Stephen.
    Chinwe:
    Hi Stephen, how can I help you today?

Stephen:
    ECS 56K CNR MODEM, 56K V90 CNR MODEM RISER, OEM, NO DRIVER.

Will this modem operate on FreeBSD?

Stephen:
    May I have acknowledgement that you are searching for an answer to my question? :)

Chinwe:
    one moment pls

Chinwe:
    what do mean by freebsd

Stephen:
    FreeBSD is an Operating System, like Linux, Unix, and Macintosh.

Chinwe:
    have no idea

Stephen:
    Ok, that's fair enough. Ummm, are you able to find out?

Also, do you have any links where I can find more information on this modem? I wasn't able to find this modem on the ECS website.

Chinwe:
    no

Stephen:
    Ok, who can I contact to find out this information?

Chinwe:
    no idea, if you can't any information from ecs website, then I am afraid I don't who else you can contact

Stephen:
    Wow, you have been very unhelpful. But, I appreciate your honesty. :)

Thank you for your time.
    Suffice it to say, I didn't buy their modem...

Macintosh != OS

sorry for smart assness

Now now...

Let's give the tech the benefit of the doubt. A lot of times, the technician you work with is limited by what "the specs" say. The correct answer should have been, "we have tested the modem with Windows 9x/ME/2k/XP" . That's likely what the documentation says that they have. That's all they support, why should they know/care about anything else?

Besides, what were you doing contacting technical support, anyways? Was Google down, or something? :P
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

I work cust support/ tech support for a wireless carrier. There are millions of great stories.
    1.:
    Customer: My phone says 'system busy please try again later' ...What does that mean?
    Me: <silent>...
    Customer: What is the pin for my phone?
    <there are several kinds of pins for these phones>
    Me: What pin are you asking for?
    Customer: The one to my phone.
    me: Where it it asking you for a PIN?
    Customer: My phone isn't asking for it.
    Me: What is?
    Customer: The Internet.
    Me: What are you doing on the internet that would ask you for your pin to the phone?
    Customer: Downloading a ringtone.
    <I realize the pin is sent from the website to the phone and must be put in the website to actually purchase the ringtone, but the phone is not set up to get alerts or download ringtones>
    me: You phone is not set up to download ringtones or get net alerts. I can set that up, but your account is passcode protected. I need the passcode before I make any changes.
    Customer: What is a passcode?
    me : It is a PIN.
    Customer: <click..hangup>
    No Sig

Some people just shouldn't be exposed to technology.
    Powered by Fedora Core

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Maximus
    Some people just shouldn't be exposed to technology.
    A bad excuse for bad system design.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I'm so happy that my phone can simply download MIDI's and use them as a ringtone. It's so much simpler than my parents' phones where they have to use the special program. Plus I can use any MIDI I find, even free ones. No more paying for ringtones for me.

Just thought I'd share my good fortune with y'all.

He he, when anybody calls me, my phone does the Monkey Island Scummbar theme.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    A bad excuse for bad system design.
    A girl asked me how to log onto the computer at the unversity yesterday (windows XP Machine), I said press ctrl+alt+delete, she did, then she asked me what she needed to do next. I said well enter your username and password.

She looked blankly at the screen for about a minute, and then I suggested she see the computer help desk for some IT training.

Some people just cant use technology and never will be able to. I have to tell my mother how to play a CD in windows media player pretty much once a week.
    Powered by Fedora Core

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Maximus
    A girl asked me how to log onto the computer at the unversity yesterday (windows XP Machine), I said press ctrl+alt+delete, she did, then she asked me what she needed to do next.
    From a usability expert's point of view, that's not the problem of the user being too stupid, but the problem of the system that doesn't match a human beings natural way of interacting with the world. If you want to have a look at a truly userfriendly conept of computing I suggest you have a look at Bruce Tognazzini's website and try to get a hold of the Starfire video, it's really worth watching it.

There's no such thing like a dumb user, but there are systems that don't pick up a user on the level where they start off from. Computers have to adapt to human beings and not the other way round.

Well I dunno about there is no such thing as a dumb user, it doesn't take a genius to follow a certain train of logical thought,

"It says that I need to enter a username and password, the university gave me some paperwork about the IT services and one of them might contain something named username and password and maybe I should try looking through those first and if I find something like that I should enter them. If I don't maybe I should ask someone in the university how I would find out my University username & password."

If you are incapable of thinking like that too bad as far as I am concerned.