How much would YOU pay for Debian?

Thread: How much would YOU pay for Debian?

Thumbs up How much would YOU pay for Debian?

Total Estimated Cost to Develop Debian 3.1 ("Sarge")?

191.6 billion dollars.

Yes, SLOC can be a somewhat contentious measurement seeing as it can be hard to agree what 'a line of code' is, especially when you compound this with the fact that identical functions can be done in different programming languages with varying amounts of code needed -- but this is still interesting nonetheless.

Especially since Debian costs us all zero.

http://libresoft.urjc.es/debian-coun...enu=Statistics

- T.

Well I pay 24.95 about every 6 months for Slackware, so I would say Debian would be at least worth 5 or 6 bucks a year.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Let's see... I used to pay 50 bucks for every SuSE boxed set, so if I pay 50 for every stable release it would cost me about 25 bucks a year.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Branden Robinson - thou have forsaken us.

Yeah, Debian really needs to work on getting those releases out the door more often.

I've gone from Testing/"etch" to Unstable/"sid" because I couldn't wait for KDE 3.4 any longer. I know you can mix testing/unstable in your sources.list and do some fancy pinning, but ... to heck with it... I wanted everything coming down the pipe.

- T.

Quote Originally Posted by tlyons
    I know you can mix testing/unstable in your sources.list and do some fancy pinning,
    Believe me, you don't wanna do that.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Ibuntu has the deepest Debian pockets

I'd pick the development muscle of ibuntu over any other Debian package.

I loaded this distro and had it just the way I wanted in an hour!

The pros are: Easy to install and lite, only one CD! Synaptic up and running with some sold repositories.

The cons: A few quirks with gcc and the kernel headers. DVD and mutimedia playback don't work, "out of the box"

Registered Linux User #334411

Thumbs down

Where would Ubuntu be without Debian? Ubuntu is just a polished version of Debian "Sid".

Anyway, you're off topic (read my thread title). The "Ubuntu is Amazing" thread is here.

- T.

Thumbs up Back on topic

Debian is a tremendous bargain. It works great and, as you said, there are billions in development years that have proved to be worth every dollar unspent!
    Registered Linux User #334411