Your Opinion of Suse 10 Full Edition

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion of Suse 10 Full Edition

Red face Your Opinion of Suse 10 Full Edition

Ok, since I cant decide whice distro to turn from since I am leaving ubuntu, I am considering SUSE ver 10, a friend of mine has ver 10 the 5 cd set and loves it, but he thinks linux should be just suse, so I need someone else to tell me the great and the ugly.
    registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

Isn't SuSE an RPM distro? Need I say more?
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

It Works Well

It Works Well Need I Say More.

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    Isn't SuSE an RPM distro? Need I say more?
    lol rpm distros are not that bad, I've used them and I only had little probs with them.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

lol rpm distros are not that bad, I've used them and I only had little probs with them.
    seriously, I dont know why people always seem to bad mouth/hate rpm based distros. Tools like YUM, YOU, SMARTpm seem to do a great job. The only complaints I have is that you cant update an old version of the OS to a newer version using those tools. Like you can in Debian distros using, apt dist-upgrade.

If you can, then Im not aware of it
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

I would second the argument that RPM distros aren't really all that bad. I use Mandrake at home and with a properly configured urpmi it isn't an harder to manage than apt. And yes I have used apt, it is currently on my work machine with my Ubuntu install. I think that package format really doesn't matter much anymore as each as its own management system that seems to work well now. Slackware uses tgz and has swaret, slapt-get so even source isn't that hard to manage. Just my two cents.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

I have tried many versions of Suse (in the past) and I never had one not freeze during install... I am definately not a fan.

If you want a really great Linux operating system go with Suse. If not try some of the forty or fifty other distros and you will find a fit.

ed

All this really boils down to is what distro you prefer. Everyone is going to have different opinions about distros... exactly like everything else in life. There is no point in trying to convince someone that one distro is better than another. Use the one that you like best. They are all basically the same underneath.
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480

"I have tried many versions of Suse (in the past) and I never had one not freeze during install... I am definately not a fan."
    I have never had a Suse install freeze. I would strongly suggest you move to a warmer climate or move your computer indoors

ed

"They are all basically the same underneath." So if the top part is really great then the underneath will be too!

ed

Quote Originally Posted by pezplaya
    All this really boils down to is what distro you prefer. Everyone is going to have different opinions about distros... exactly like everything else in life. There is no point in trying to convince someone that one distro is better than another. Use the one that you like best. They are all basically the same underneath.
    yes exactly which is why I hate all these threads like this :P

imho, it is like having to phone your friend to ask them what kind of toilet paper to use :P

charmin extra

what I prefer

What I prefer is something that isnt killed 18 months from the release date, this would weed out ubuntu, I prefer a simple desktop, kde or gnome doesnt matter, I like the way debain package system works, and I understand it better since I have been fooling around with debain type distro's, but I cant get debian installed on my system mainly becuse my bios is very limited, and it gets hung up on the usb legacy, I like ubuntu, they way it works, but 6 months from now, the backports will be gone and updates will die off in say 12 months, its posted on there site, I like a large screen, 1024X is plenty but even suse put me at 800X600 which ticks me off. I tried installing slackware becuse I have been told it is very stable, but I dont understand the installation process, if it were as simple as the ubuntu installation I would more than likely use it from day to day.

I love linux, and my wife has finnaly quit nagging me about microsoft......

guess I just have to find the one I like the most.

mmills
    registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

You could try VectorLinux .

Its a Slackware based distro and I think the installation is straight forward but I wouldnt know personally cause I still havent gotten around to trying it...soon though, I promise
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b