JustLinux RSS Feed!

Thread: JustLinux RSS Feed!

JustLinux RSS Feed!

Hi!
    Today while browsing the web, I discovered RSS. It would be really great if JL would have RSS also. Im using Akregator and its so confortable. You dont have to open a browser, to see if there are new posts/news on the site. What do you think?
    Registered Linux User #393685
    If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem..
    [Michael D. Watts]

We had another thread suggesting this floating around at some point, and bproffit said he'd talk to the devs, but I don't remember if he ever got back to us. It had a lot of support, people want JL RSS feeds.

Also, this thread should belong in the 'JL Ideas' forum. Just a friendly tip.
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

Yeah, I don't know how hard it would be to do. I know that a certain other linux questions type forum has various RSS feeds available on it.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Also, this thread should belong in the 'JL Ideas' forum. Just a friendly tip.
    Sorry about that
    I don't know how hard it would be to do
    I did a little google search and found out that it is a lot easyer that I thought!

This is a very simple RSS file (JL.com News example):
    Code:
    <? xml version="1.0" ?>
    <rss version="2.0">
    <channel>

<title>JustLinux.com</title>
          <link>http://www.justlinux.com</link>
          <description>Huge online forum.</description>

<item> 
       <title>Forums Upgraded</title> 
       <link>http://www.justlinux.com/forum</link>
       <description>The JustLinux Forums have been upgraded to vBulletin. All of the    features from the old version are available, as well as a new look and feel for JL    members! Take a look around and enjoy the latest version of    JustLinux...</description>
    </item>
    </channel>
    </rss>
    And on the index page (or any other page), should be a link:
    Code:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="JL.com News" href="/path_to_rss_file.xml" />
    And thats it! Maybe Admin or someone else could make RSS Feed for Latest Threads.. That would be cool! If everybody is busy, I could make it.
    Last edited by q6z4k; 10-24-2005 at 05:32 PM.
    Registered Linux User #393685
    If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem..
    [Michael D. Watts]

If you really want an rss feed you can make one that uses JL data...How, well I had some software before (windows type) that allowed you to make a news feed based off of certain forums, I was unsuccessful with the previous version of the forum but have scence removed the software from the machine to try again, basically it was a vbScript that would run and pull data from the site...I'm sure that an rss feed would be convientent but site click thrus would go down causeing the banners to be worth less meaning JM would maybe rethink hosting and supporting the site.
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot