[SOLVED] What kind of Laptop should i go for ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] What kind of Laptop should i go for ?

[SOLVED] What kind of Laptop should i go for ?

Im looking for a laptop at the moment . What im not sure about is which one to buy . Im looking for a laptop which costs less than $3000 SGD , is a tablet laptop , i can do some mediocre gaming on and finally , has either a expansion dock or nice inbuilt specs . Any ideas guys ? Im pretty bewildered by the selection out there , so in the time honoured way , i have come to ask the advice of the wise geeks who live on JL ( dont take the last part seriously i was just jking ).

Thanks ,

Xbaxe
    Last edited by XbaxeSysAdmin; 11-02-2005 at 12:47 PM.

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

Lightbulb

What about this one? Actually its highest prices is below $3,000.00 and OF COURSE! you can install Linux on it.

I looked it up and $3000 SGD is actually around $1770 USD. Personally I'm a big fan of IBM laptops (with the usual disclaimer that I'm currently interning with them, although they sold the business so I guess it doesn't matter anymore), but the cheapest tablet they have comes in about that price even with the EPP discount and I'm guessing that would be terrible for gaming. Personally I wouldn't go with a tablet style unless I were absolutely sure that I needed the extra functionality because they cost quite a bit more from what I can tell and tend not to be as sturdy (one hinge versus two). My brother has a Gateway tablet that's not bad, but it was expensive and the touchpad is worthless on it. Maybe he just got a bad one, but that goes back to my quality issues that push me towards IBM.

I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but it's the best I can do.

Edit: BTW, Xbaxe I love your sig.
    Last edited by cybertron; 11-02-2005 at 01:14 PM.

laptop

stay away from compaq (which is what I purchased) and think more of the lines of IBM, those laptops are hardware based for the most part and they are rock solid.

just my opinion
    mmills
    registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

Asarch : Its USD .

CyberTron : Ive decided against a tablet . Im thinking of HP ATM . IBM is WAY out of my leauge . Its too pricey . Also , its gaming capability isnt really there .

MMills : ill take your comments into consideration .

Keep the comments coming !

Thanks ,

Xbaxe

EDIT : Cybertron : Thanks

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

Dell has decent laptops and now that the ATI drivers aren't bad gaming is good on them. I've got an older 600m with a 64m radion 9000 and can play ut2004 on it

You could also browse through http://linux-on-laptops.com and see what people have working with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by XbaxeSysAdmin
    Asarch : Its USD .
    I know but just think about it, no matter if you chose a Compaq, IBM, VAIO, Dell, Gateway, e-Machines, etc, what to these brands have in common? THE COMPONENTS!!! All of them have the same Intel processor, the same audio processor, the same motherboard manufacturer, the same chipset graphics. The ONLY thing that changes (and obviously the price also changes) is the name that is shows in front of the machine. IBM has already selled its laptops division to a chinese manufacturer, it is not making machines.

On the other hand, I know that an Apple machine IS REALLY EXPENSIVE but with one of these machines you won't need another machine until 2010, it really worth. I am actually saving for one of these machines.

I say go Apple for a laptop.

Apple and HP are my faves. I actually looking for a lappy myself and will definately have a closer look at those two. Apple is a bit pricey but i guess quality is decent, HP seems nice.

Asus

Where i work we repare computers that our customers bring in to have fixed.

the other day somone brought in an ASUS laptop with a broken power adapter ( had been triped over) so as my co-worker was taking it apart he had said that this in terms of simplicity of disasembly, reasembly and how well it was built was the nicest laptop he had ever worked on. and the specs on it were very nice as well. it had a 64bit mobile atholon 2800 and a ati radion 9800 and a gig of ram.

i looked this laptop up on the ASUS site and it was quite reasonably priced(under 1700 USD)
    they also have some others with better specs.

i wouldnt mind having one my slef if i had the spare cash just lying around but if oyur intrested in a well built name brand laptop with very nice specs i would checkout ASUS.

asus laptops page

Thanks for alll your comments guys ! Keep them coming ! I looked at all the pages you guys suggested and Im kinda favouring either HP or Apple . The Apple Powerbook G4 !2" specs arent bad and the HP HP Pavilion dv1320AP is slightly more expensive but a tad lower on the spec side .

thanks

Dagorion

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    Courtesy of bash.org

I own an Apple Powerbook for a year now and I have to say I'm highly satisfied with it. I don't think I'll ever buy an "ordinary" laptop again.

The only disadvantage is gaming on an Apple because it can't compete in terms of proc speed and default RAM. Don't get me wrong, I can play e.g. Wolfenstein ET or Warcraft without any problems, but when I'm e.g. on a warcraft map with lots of units walking around I feel the hardware's limitation.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

<offtopic>
    know how you feel Parcival ..... I ws Bnetting on a p3 with 128 for close to 2 years .
    <offtopic>
    The powerbook is around 2.5k SGD and im not sure of how to buy it . im looking under the educational discount . If my father buys it for me , under my name but credits it to him as in the pays for it , do it still come under the educational discount ?
    I think the apple bowerbook looks great and thats what i want ... But how to convince my dad ? Hes the one in the end going to buy it for me . Any Ideas guys ?

Sorry if that was offtopic .

Back on topic (AGAIN)

Pacrival : which powerbook do you have ? As in which size .

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    Courtesy of bash.org

I have the 12" Powerbook: it's the cheapest of the three and smallest in size - wonderful to carry it with you wherever you go. Other people in my LUG have the larger Powerbooks because their employers gave them to them, but they say they'd buy the smaller 12" Powerbook if they bought their own.

If the Powerbook is too expensive, you may also go for the cheaper iBook. Concerning how to order, I can't really answer your question as I don't know how it works in your country. When I ordered at Apple's swiss webstore, all I had to do was saying the university I study at. I don't have any idea how they check it - if they check it at all. Since they didn't even ask for my student's ID I doubt they do it. Furthermore, it's not only students who get the discount, but anyone who is employed at a school and/or university - and I highly doubt the human resources department of our university is going to tell Apple who works here and who doesn't.
    It's a different story, though, when you go to a "real" shop to buy Apple products, there they carefully check your student's ID.

Furthermore, paying by credit card wasn't the only option for me, I could do a simple bank transfer from my account. Filling out the transfer wasn't that easy, though, so my money bounced back first, but after a phone call with one of their friendly agents I successfully transfered the money and they shipped my computer.
    Last edited by Parcival; 11-03-2005 at 08:50 AM.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)