Take a stand against software patents. YOU can make a difference!

Thread: Take a stand against software patents. YOU can make a difference!

Exclamation Take a stand against software patents. YOU can make a difference!

Please assist in voting Florian Müller, NoSoftwarePatents.com as the European of the year. This is to bring some attention to the evil of software patents.

You have to choose a candidate in all of the ten categories or your vote is void.

A suitable strategy can be found here:
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/ev50/vote.html

An explanation of this strategy can be found here:
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/ev50/index.html

The actual voting takes place here:
    http://www.ev50.com/poll

You may of course vote however you like, but I urge you to choose Florian Müller, NoSoftwarePatents.com as a candidate for question five (Campaigner of the Year) and question ten (European of the Year).

The poll closes on 11 November 2005.
    You will receive an e-mail of confirmation in which you have to click the link to confirm your vote.
    This poll doesn't seem to work with your regular hotmail account (i.e. you won't receive the confirmation e-mail).

<snip>
    If we succeed with this campaign, the issue of software patents will be elevated to the level of awareness that other major political topics enjoy. Our opponents try to portray it as a concern of geeks. With the power of the Internet, we can prove them wrong once again.

We face strong competition from such prominent people as Bono (U2), Bob Geldof, J.K. Rowling and 46 other candidates. However, we have a realistic chance to win because a public Internet poll should be a home game for us.

Imagine what it will mean if our candidate receives a highly prestigious award that Microsoft has co-sponsored, at a gala event that is moderated by a pro-patent lobbyist (Pat Cox), and if he can then make an acceptance speech in front of many EU commissioners and the heads of governments of several EU member countries. Europe's political leaders would have to listen to us like never before, and the news would go around the world. Florian has promised that he will give the prize money to the FFII if he wins.

</snip>

I'd love to see this posted in the Software section as well, but I wasn't sure if it would be the correct forum. If any moderator sees this, please feel free to move it.
    ::.. Debian GNU/Linux für alle ..::
    Home | MAME Arcade | Screenshots

Good idea, thanks for posting and bringing this to our awareness.

It was interesting for me to observe that my votes match the recommended startegy pretty well. Additionaly, I would like to make a recommendation, but of course you're free to pick whoever you choose. No Software Patents says:

Business Leader of the Year: Willie Walsh
    We have no particular problem with any of the five candidates, nor do we have a strong preference for someone. The recommendation above was made by a random generator.
    I suggest to support

Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault

because in a time when every major car manufacturer cuts down on jobs, Renault announced this year they will create 25'000 jobs worldwide, mostly in research, and want to give away these jobs focused on young adults. In a time when youth unemployment is a topic in Europe, this is a courageous move.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Can someone please explain me why Software Patents are bad?
    Registered Linux User #393685
    If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem..
    [Michael D. Watts]

Quote Originally Posted by q6z4k
    Can someone please explain me why Software Patents are bad?
    In a short sentence:

Because software patents are exactly the opposite of what free software stands for.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)