about debian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about debian

Exclamation about debian

i currently use red hat (shrike).I have a question.Usually all most red hat clones come in 3 to 4 cds,while debian comes in about 14 to 16 cds .why is this ??Is this because debian has more packages ? why doesn't red hat have them ??

well that is a cd set BUT unlike rpm distros you can do a full net install with debian, you really only need a set of floppies or a 50mb netinstall disk, no one ever downloads the entire binary set

Because debian just decides to package more things. and possibly because there are more developer-y people that use debian, since it's been around longer than redhat.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

i take that back, sharth downloads the cd sets, hes got a room full of spindles

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    unlike rpm distros you can do a full net install with debian
    That's not accurate. With SuSE, one can do a net install, and it is an RPM distribution.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

well that is a cd set BUT unlike rpm distros you can do a full net install with debian, you really only need a set of floppies or a 50mb netinstall disk, no one ever downloads the entire binary set
    They don't?

Generally, you would only get ALL 15 CD's if you were installing to a computer that has absolutely no internet connection. (This situation almost never happens, and even then, you probably won't use ALL 15 CD's.)

Otherwise, you can easily install using only the first CD, and get everything else off the net.

Who on earth would do a 15cd install lol
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

I did a 7 cd one a lonnnng time ago on a 56k none the less. T'was a lovely month.

Nobody really downloads the whole set though. With woody, people would download cd 1 or 5, but generally, all you need is a net-install cd, or just the first cd (and then just download the rest later)
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Debian simplified (in 5 disks)

Try Libranet. It's a 5 CD distro based on Debian with a user-friendly GUI. The hardware detection is superb as it the network and peripheral set-up. I cannot stress enough the awesome capabilities that Libranet has to offer, especially to entice a new user to become a lifelong Linux user/advocate. The current version is 3.0 running a 2.6 kernel and all updated software versions (GNOME, KDE, OO.o, etc...). Apt-"getting" other software is done with ease along with the dependability of a true Debian system. Try this: I guarantee you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown_rules
    i currently use red hat (shrike).I have a question.Usually all most red hat clones come in 3 to 4 cds,while debian comes in about 14 to 16 cds .why is this ??Is this because debian has more packages ? why doesn't red hat have them ??
    Last edited by fgibbs; 11-08-2005 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Unedited text

Psss! GenieOS. Formely DebianPure. Uses Debian Sarge netinstall CD along with the GenieOS CD. You end up with a fully compatible Debian OS AND all the things one would want to make Web surfing a joy. Jave, Flash, codecs, etc. Check it out.

As to the large number of CD from Debian, that's only if you want to download them. No need to do that. As stated before, a netinstall CD is all you would need. Easy as pie.

suggesting another distro, solves no problems and only promotes the unhealthy practice of distro hopping and running away from problems

suggesting another distro, solves no problems and only promotes the unhealthy practice of distro hopping and running away from problems
    I am very doubtful of your opinion, dkeav. Leaving one OS for another can be a very good thing sometimes, and is exactly how most of us ended up here.

If you're thinking of blackbelt_jones' experience. He is a rare minority. Besides that, who's to say that what he did was "bad" or "wrong". As long as he was in control of his system and enjoying it, then I would think that was a "good" experience.

In my humble opinion(IMHO), I think a newbie should test drive as many distro's as possible. It's all about choice anyway, right?

Sorry, dkeav but distro hopping is part and parcel of the Linux world. Until you find the one that 'fits'. My God, I can't tell you how many I've tried.

And by the way, I did address the question asked.

so you need to distro hop to end up at the conclusion that linux is linux, and you can make debian redhat, and use gentoo, and slack into netbsd?

IMHO that is failed logic and a waste of time that could have been used towards addressing the issues and hand and learning from that experience rather than running away to another one to start all over again, with the same problems