newbie wants programs needs help

Thread: newbie wants programs needs help

newbie wants programs needs help

I need a little help. I just installed red hat 9 and installation went smoothly. This is my first try with linux and I need help. I found some programs that I would like to take advantage of. However I do not know how to install them. I downloaded the TAR's and extracted the contents but now I'm stuck. The help guides for the programs tell me to type "make install" yadda yadda but where do I type this and is there an easier way?
    Thanks in advance for your helping this clueless newbie.
    AMD XP 2700+
    768 MB Ram
    80G HD
    ATI 9700 128 DDR AGP
    Dual Boot
    Ubuntu
    Win XP (gaming)

These are a few of my favorite things.

Well, the tar archive is source code. I suggest you to search for the packages, that ends with *.rpm. They are very easy to install. As for the source packages, you will need to compile them. To do this, cd to extracted directory and type into console as root:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    But compiling will take time. If you are in KDE, just hit F4 to open console.
    Last edited by q6z4k; 11-06-2005 at 07:09 PM.
    Registered Linux User #393685
    If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem..
    [Michael D. Watts]

hello,

I am a newbie too, and I am facing this problem too. Everytime I enter the " make" command it says that make is not guilty because the command doesnt have the right parameters.
    I get this everytime I try to install a program, I followed up the installations exactly!
    First, I do the configure command, which takes only a few seconds (?) and after that, I enter " make" but I get this error...

does someone know why this could be?
    thanks in advance!
    DMA

after you ./configure, you MUST BECOME ROOT, so that you can have previleges to install the program
    M3rlin

Actually, you must become root only to execute "make install", use "su" for that.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Quote Originally Posted by brotherturtle
    I need a little help. I just installed red hat 9 and installation went smoothly. This is my first try with linux and I need help. I found some programs that I would like to take advantage of. However I do not know how to install them. I downloaded the TAR's and extracted the contents but now I'm stuck. The help guides for the programs tell me to type "make install" yadda yadda but where do I type this and is there an easier way?
    Thanks in advance for your helping this clueless newbie.
    Id strongly suggest using a distribution that is current and far more newbie-friendly. Youre not going to be able to get a lot of recent dependencies for a lot of programs, and if you were running something current there would be easy binaries to install.

If youre comfortable with Red Hat and dont want anything easier but just want something current to make it easier to get current software, get the latest "home version", Fedora. http://fedora.redhat.com/
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Quote Originally Posted by timothykaine
    Youre not going to be able to get a lot of recent dependencies for a lot of programs, and if you were running something current there would be easy binaries to install.
    In addition, I'd just like to say once more: newbies, before you try to install any program you manually downloaded from the internet, fire up the tool in your distribution first that handles the distribution's software. Chances are high the program is featured there, too, so you can install it at the click of a mouse button.

Example: you can download and compile FreeCiv from the FreeCiv website (that's the hard way) or fire up Synaptic (in Debian) or YaST (in SuSE), search for the FreeCiv package, check the box next to it and click install.

Pretty much the only time you need to compile software yourself is when

• for some reason you absolutely need the latest version of the program than the current one featured in your distribution
    • for some reason you absolutely need an older version of the program than the current one featured in your distribution
    • your program is so rarely used nobody has made a binary package yet
    • you do this for optimization (Gentoo)
    • you do this for fun

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

yum

I would suggest upgrading to fedora instead of sticking with red hat 9. Get the fedora core 4 installation CD and use it to upgrade. Then research how to use yum via google and

man yum

Since the advent of modern package management systems, you only fall back to binaries and tarballs if (first) a yum repository with your package can't be found and (second) an rpm file can't be found.

Read My Signature
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Thanks for they help guys I will probably try Downloading fedora. Also Is Mandriva any good for newbies?
    AMD XP 2700+
    768 MB Ram
    80G HD
    ATI 9700 128 DDR AGP
    Dual Boot
    Ubuntu
    Win XP (gaming)

Quote Originally Posted by brotherturtle
    Thanks for they help guys I will probably try Downloading fedora. Also Is Mandriva any good for newbies?
    Yes, it is. Check out the ISO-Confused section of this board to get an idea of the various newbie friendly distros out there.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I downloaded Mandriva and had roughly the same issues. Then a friend at work handed me a Ubuntu install disc. I love it Ubuntu is perfect for me and probably any newbie. Go Ubuntu
    AMD XP 2700+
    768 MB Ram
    80G HD
    ATI 9700 128 DDR AGP
    Dual Boot
    Ubuntu
    Win XP (gaming)