Video on web site

Thread: Video on web site

Hybrid View

Video on web site

I would like to post a video on my web site. I'd like for the viewer to be able to click on a play button and view the video directly on the site. I don't want them to have to rely on an external video player such as Real Player or Caffeine or WMP.

What would it take to accomplish this task assuming I already have the video in a digital format?
    Linux is more friggin' addictive than caffeine.

Confidence is what you feel when you do not truly understand the situation (or question).

Nothing. Browsers aren't capable of playing video, and will need a plugin. That being said, convert your video to a common format with a common codec - mpeg would probably do it.

Video

Try this:

<embed SRC="myvideo.avi" AUTOSTART=TRUE WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=300 ALIGN=ABSMIDDLE LOOP=FALSE>

Quote Originally Posted by ocmnet
    Try this:

<embed SRC="myvideo.avi" AUTOSTART=TRUE WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=300 ALIGN=ABSMIDDLE LOOP=FALSE>
    Which will only work if your browser has a plugin that understands whatever MIME-type your web server sends for "myvideo.avi", and also understands all the extra attributes that you've put in here.

My guess is this will only work in IE, on Windows.

Thats actually the preferred command for Netscape/Mozilla. It will work in in any popular browser, and a recent version of IE. Older versions of IE request an IE-specific tag.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Ok, so if I use this:

How can I provide the viewer with stop, start and pause buttons?
    Linux is more friggin' addictive than caffeine.

Confidence is what you feel when you do not truly understand the situation (or question).

Quote Originally Posted by timothykaine
    It will work in in any popular browser,
    ... As long as that browser can display whatever MIME-type your web server sends for the .avi file. If the user doesn't have some AVI-playing plugin installed, their browser will display a large block saying "click here to get the plugin".

Quote Originally Posted by bwkaz
    ... As long as that browser can display whatever MIME-type your web server sends for the .avi file. If the user doesn't have some AVI-playing plugin installed, their browser will display a large block saying "click here to get the plugin".
    I thought that part went without saying. No media without a plugin. I was just making sure it was known that that command works in all recent browsers, not just Internet Explorer, and that its actually the least likely to accept the command (as all versions of all Mozilla browsers will handle that command).
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

I will concure with bwkaz that the embed tag still relies on the media's mime type and the appropriate plugin installed. do a search for the w3c schools. the w3c has a lot of info and some tuts on useing certain code (it is the world wide web consortium)
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Frame: build it yourself out of HTML

Control buttons: you don't supply, the video player does.

google is your friend.

www.w3schools.com
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux

flash or java?

flash, yuck
    java, inconvenient way

best to leave it to the player of the end user
    JustLinux IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #justlinux