Openoffice on slackware

Thread: Openoffice on slackware

Openoffice on slackware

I tried installing open office 2.0, but when when I opened the .tar.gz I found a huge list of .rpm's.
    I have no idea how to install them on linux other than clicking on them and letting Kpackage do it or the rpm command and both fail. I have googled it quite a lot and turned up nothing relevent.
    I can not seem to find any form of installation instructions either.
    Here is the error Kpackage gives me:

<.8968/RPMS/openoffice.org-impress-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: Failed dependencies:
    openoffice.org-core01 is needed by openoffice.org-impress-2.0.0-3
    RESULT=0

That said that it is dependent on core01 and if I try installing core01, it says it needs core02 et cetera.
    How the heck do I install this on Slackware?

either see if you can get a non-rpm version (I think there is one) or use the rpm2tgz app to convert the rpm to a tgz.

This question has actually been answered several times, I myself found the answer with Google, I think...

Try this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...5&pagenumber=1

Though this might be even better:

http://software.newsforge.com/commen...130&pid=108080

Keywords:

openoffice 2 slackware
    Last edited by Rinias; 11-11-2005 at 02:18 PM.
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

Or, best solution , download the 10.2 package from the super site linuxpackages.net.
    Registered Linux User #314213

It seems to have worked, but I would have never thought of useing search paramiters with a "2" instead of "to". The ones I used brought up a load of nothing.
    I did see mention of a few package converters like what I had to use, but the ones I ran into where pkg to rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by aNoob
    Or, best solution , download the 10.2 package from the super site linuxpackages.net.
    While this is certainly the easy solution, I'm going to have to say that it is certainly not the best one. Why? Because although there may be quite a few packages down there that are compiled on "clean" Slack systems, you never actually know what you are getting... With Slack its much, much better to do everything you possiblly can on your own system- just like with other distros like SUSE you wouldn't want to go messing around with config options because youll damage the system...

I'd stay away from linuxpackages.net as much as possible. Slackers are good at compiling and searching

(JohnT? Where did he go? This was always his advice... But maybe he was just a purist... Haha! Anyone know where he is?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rinias
    While this is certainly the easy solution, I'm going to have to say that it is certainly not the best one. Why? Because although there may be quite a few packages down there that are compiled on "clean" Slack systems, you never actually know what you are getting... With Slack its much, much better to do everything you possiblly can on your own system- just like with other distros like SUSE you wouldn't want to go messing around with config options because youll damage the system...

I'd stay away from linuxpackages.net as much as possible. Slackers are good at compiling and searching

(JohnT? Where did he go? This was always his advice... But maybe he was just a purist... Haha! Anyone know where he is?)
    You are right, yet you are wrong
    90% of packages worked like a charm for me. But last night I tried firestarter (I'm a Gnome addict). Application didn't start no matter what I did. And then I dnlded the source (as any slacker will advise ) and of course, this one worked. It depends, seriously. For example OO had for a long time their installer which worked always for me. I don't use too much office suites but, yes , sometimes I install just to see what's the big fuss about.
    JohnT was a swaret user, so dunno why he's advocating source compiling
    Registered Linux User #314213

Yeah, he definitely uses swaret, JohnT, and he always leaves it on "current." But he would never use linuxpackages (as far as I remember), and I don't know if he was into the swaret beta, which is the only ones that compiles from source for the moment (if I remember correctly). I think every Slack user is a compiler I could be wrong, but I just don't see how you could have all you wanted in Slack without compiling something!

Rinias

Ok, it worked; however, one of the files converted to .tar.gz instead of .tgz. Why? I think it was the calc rpm package that did it, but all the others were converted to .tgz like they were supposed too. I could not install the calc because of that but I do not really know what it is anyway.
    Everything else seems to work ok. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Omnscnt(Sortof)
    I could not install the calc because of that but I do not really know what it is anyway.
    Everything else seems to work ok. Thanks
    Uh... I would think that calc was one of the more important packages... If I were you, I would simply run the command again and get the calc package into the right format (if possible). Normally you should still have the original file and its well worth the short wait to redo it, now isn't it? Of course, that's up to you

Rinias