Screen Shots November 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen Shots November 2005

Screen Shots November 2005

Guess I will go first

Laptop

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Well, since my harddrive's dead I don't have my last month's nice KDE desktop anymore and I am "stuck" with my Powerbook. However, as my current screenshot from OSX hopefully shows, life with the OSX desktop isn't that bad either.

In the dock to the right I have the following apps (from top to bottom):

1. Finder (the OSX file manager)
    2. iTerm (I like it better than OSX' built in Terminal)
    3. Firefox and Thunderbird (guess no explanation needed )
    4. iSync (syncs pretty much EVERYTHING)
    5. iTunes
    6. Adium (IM, great for harrassing the other mods )
    7. Gimp
    8. X-Server (needed to run the Gimp and other free apps)
    9. Grab (takes the screenshots in OSX)
    10. Trashcan

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1...vember16sv.png

Gnome with SUSE 10.0

I've said it before... nothing says "I am finished screwing around with different distros." like homemade custom desktop icons.

Note the upper panel: The "no RIAA" button opens gtk-gnutella. The tiny portrait of Shakespeare launches Open Office Writer. Most of the buttons on the desktop play mp3 files at random or open streaming media with realplayer. I always wanted a Mozart Button!

For anybody who wants to make their own icons, here's a tip. Search Google images for your pix, but instead of downloading JPG files off the sites, save the miniatruized versions from the Google images interface. They require minimal resizing.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-01-2005 at 06:53 AM.

I assume the Mozart button fires up something like XMMS and also features a playlist in its command, right? I wonder why this idea never struck me before... it's so easy, simple, and obvious it escapes a "let's do it the difficult way" mind like me.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    I assume the Mozart button fires up something like XMMS and also features a playlist in its command, right? I wonder why this idea never struck me before... it's so easy, simple, and obvious it escapes a "let's do it the difficult way" mind like me.
    the command uses mpg321 with the -z (shuffle) option I set the launcher to play in the terminal, so when I want to stop the music, all I have to do it close the terminal window.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-01-2005 at 04:30 PM.

LFS screenshot for this month, gnome of course.
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

Messy

Clean

Fresh install of Slackware 10.2 w/kde
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

good idea

hey, that's a good idea.....why do it the hard way? =)

-Charles

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    the command uses mpg321 with the -z (shuffle) option I set the launcher to play in the terminal, so when I want to stop the music, all I have to do it close the terminal window.

No major changes, still using my orange Halloweenish theme with a new background (that you can't see in this screenshot anyway) from the game (Alice) that you see here. Mostly I just wanted to show off the fact that I can play it at all under Linux (it's a 5 year old Windows-only game). And don't laugh, just because you're playing as a little girl doesn't make it a sissy game. This little girl has a meat cleaver (among other things) and knows how to use it.

http://lctf.homelinux.com/stuff/AliceScreen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    For anybody who wants to make their own icons, here's a tip. Search Google images for your pix, but instead of downloading JPG files off the sites, save the miniatruized versions from the Google images interface. They require minimal resizing.
    Since posting that, i have discovered the "stretch icon" option that can be accessed by right clicking on the icon. This makes resizing of icons much less of an issue, although using full-sized images as icons would probably be a drain on resources.

I just added this image to my desktop as an icon for Gnome Terminal I used to collect these when I was a kid.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-02-2005 at 02:25 PM.

I never got so involved with customizing my desktop before. I don't know if it's SUSE or just the resolve to not switch distros for a while (although I did install debian sid, in the form of Kanotix, on my other hard drive.)

Anyway, I've discovered that if I put my custom icons and buttons on the panel instead of on the desktop, they not only look cooler, take up less space, and free up the desktop for work in progress... they also only require a single click, where as the same icon on the desktop proper requires a double click. (Even as I write this, I realize someone is going to fire back a way that this can be reconfigured, like everything else in g/l... be my guest.)

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/6...enshot12rk.png

BTW, Is it me, or has imageshack cut back on quality lately? I'm going to have to find something better.

I like my new background, but does anybody know where I can get Richard Stallman wallpaper?

Note how tiny my clock applet is, in the upper right hand corner... Seriously, what is up with that?
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-05-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Score! I finally got superkaramba to do its fake transparency thing in Fluxbox. Now Liquid Weather actually looks like it's supposed to. I'm so excited I had to post another screenie (plus you get to see my disturbing wallpaper this way too).

http://lctf.homelinux.com/stuff/Alic...ransparent.jpg

BTW, only eleven (twelve now, I guess) posts in the screenshot thread this month? What is this forum coming to?

hey! i remember playing that game about five years ago, its eerie :/

I'm amazed computers could even play it when it came out (probably couldn't at 1280x1024 like I am). The graphics are awesome for a five year old game IMHO. They did a really nice job with some of the characters too, like the ones on my wallpaper.

Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!