disappointed with linux video performace (old pc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disappointed with linux video performace (old pc)

disappointed with linux video performace (old pc)

i have a pentium 2 pc with windows 98. when windows media player plays videos, the frame rate is good, and i can even see fullscreen.

but with slackware in the same pc (both 2.4.11 and 2.6.x), the same video performance is very bad, and uses 100% of the cpu and still is skippy. watching full screen is almost impossible. it has a s3 savage graphic card. (the videos are AVIs on the hard disk).

any ideas to improve the performance?
    -------------------------

1.7 Ghz Pentium IV
    128MB RD-RAM
    40GB 5400 RPM HDD
    Creative Live! Sound Card
    Geforce 4 Ti4400 gfx card

Sounds like you don't have any 3d acceleration, also have you optimized the harddisk throughput?

What is the disply card?
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

like leonpmu asked, do you have 3d accel enabled (believe its supported), hdparm settings and what program are you using to play the avi files back
    Somethings are but lost
    to the times of ones conscience

Til our paths cross again.

its a s3 savage 2000 graphic card (according to lspci), with the 'savage' driver. for hdparm, dma is enabled. but my hard drive is hardly working, it seems to be displaying the video that is causing the problem.

Unfortunately I don't know squat about Slack, only used it for a couple of days once. Maybe you should check in slack how to enable 3d Accelleration. Is it using XFree or Xorg?

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

what program are you using for playback?
    Somethings are but lost

xine, with default "auto" video driver. its xorg

3D acceleration isn't used for video afaik. All you should need to do is to make sure Xorg is using the correct driver which I believe is "savage" in your case and <i>maybe</i> set your video player to use the correct output driver which is normally xv for accellerated video, but try setting them all manually and see which works best.

I couldn't find any documentation on the Xorg website related to this driver and what exactly it supports, but I did find this man page which at least implies it has some form of hardware accelleration. If you still have problems when using the correct driver and video output, it may be that the X video driver doesn't make full use of the cards features.

get mplayer

mplayer might not play perfectly, but I know that it will play better than xine will on your system.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html

Yeah. me too! I have similiar problem. Actually, I did want to make new thread But I just use this thread instead.

with slackware in the same pc (both 2.4.11 and 2.6.x), the same video performance is very bad, and uses 100% of the cpu and still is skippy. watching full screen is almost impossible.
    Same here... I tried with xine 0.9.9 package form slack installation cd. THe perfomance is very bad. I got dissapointed and then uninstalled the xine. Same with all so-many-but-none-work-well kde video apps.
    Sorry guys, is video-playing in linux stinks and perform like sh*t?

In xp, video running fine using windows media player.

my spec:
    win xp pro, netbsd 2.1
    slack 10.2 kernel 2.4.31. xorg X server
    P3 450 MHz. asus p3bf.
    Graphic card creative tnt ultra 32 mb.
    ram 192 mb.

Here, I attached my xorg.conf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hottdogg; 12-13-2005 at 06:33 AM.
    There's no such thing as "free bandwidth"

Sorry guys, is video-playing in linux stinks and perform like sh*t?
    No it's not!

Kubuntu 8.10
    Asus M2N-VM DVI
    ATI Radeon 3850

ive always found that for normal vid files mplayer does a better job but xine is my dvd playback program of choice (ibook se 466mhz g3 576mb ram 8mb vid (no 3d accel)) dvd can be a little jumpy but not unwatchable and normal files play fine
    Somethings are but lost

"ive always found that for normal vid files mplayer does a better job but xine is my dvd playback program of choice (ibook se 466mhz g3 576mb ram 8mb vid (no 3d accel)) dvd can be a little jumpy but not unwatchable and normal files play fine"

Do you have DMA enabled on your DVD drive? That is the only thing that would cause jumpyness.

Desktop:
    Laptop:

nobody bothered to ask (that I see) if rocketpcguy is running kde(or gnome) with 32 MB of RAM.

Video playback might be a little slow then.

My old desktop was a PII 350, 190MB RAM, 32 MB Video and it played movies perfectly with slack 10.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Xine works slowly for me too, I'm running Slackware 10.1, but I use Noatun for Video, Mp3's etc..
    The video in full screen on mandrake runs perfect! I just need to get the right drivers for my video card on Slackware!
    Registered Linux User #393685
    If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem..
    [Michael D. Watts]