OpenOffice 2.0 startup problems

Thread: OpenOffice 2.0 startup problems

OpenOffice 2.0 startup problems

I've installed OpenOffice 2.0 on Centos 4.2 x86 (OOO 1.1 was working fine before) . The icons are present under GNOME, and you can execute any application, but the application does not open, yet the process is running

[root@rock ~]# ps -ef | grep open
    root 4850 1 0 11:15 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice -calc
    root 4859 4850 0 11:15 ? 00:00:00 /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/javaldx

I've done the installation with the rpm -Uvh from 1.1 to 2.0, then when that wasn't working I removed all the openoffice.org packages and installed OOO with rpm -ivh, same thing. I have a feeling Im missing something in my .tchsrc file that has to do with java since it looks like java is used.

Any suggestions how I could troubleshoot this?
    Registered Linux User # 394318

Some random rant from Slashdot that made me laugh:

When Microsoft releases security updates, it's cuz the software is crap. When others do it, it's cuz the software rocks. No double standards here. Maybe it's like when girls get naked. If she's good looking, it makes it better. If she's ugly looking, its much worse. Microsoft may be bloated, but needs love just like everyone else.

When Im trying to execute manually /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice.bin *AS LOCAL USER*, I get the OpenOffice logo loading, and its stalling with this error message :

(soffice.bin:9581): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

Now. When I execute as root soffice.bin -writer , it works ....

Any suggestions how I can fix this within the GNOME menu ?

I guess what Im trying to say is that I can open OOo, as root, manually, from the terminal, but what's the point of having a desktop if you cannot use it!
    Last edited by r0ck; 01-05-2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Registered Linux User # 394318

Some random rant from Slashdot that made me laugh:

When Microsoft releases security updates, it's cuz the software is crap. When others do it, it's cuz the software rocks. No double standards here. Maybe it's like when girls get naked. If she's good looking, it makes it better. If she's ugly looking, its much worse. Microsoft may be bloated, but needs love just like everyone else.

I've HAD this trouble. I never fixed it. The power went off, and after restarting, it went away. That's no solution, it's still in the back of mind what it was. I will be following this thread carefully.
    Now, I am having the same thing with gnome-terminal. The ps -ef lists it but it never comes on the screen. Or, sometimes it comes on, but has no sig-on, and no place to type anything. As root, it's perfect. What the heck?
    Last edited by posterboy; 01-08-2006 at 07:58 AM.
    ray@raymondjones.net
    HTTP://www.raymondjones.net

Well, guess what? Being root has nothing to do with it. I have several users on this box, and if I su into one of them, THAT user can start gnome-terminal n/p. I betcha that's true for OO also. Now, that's a powerful clue for some who understands this stuff, but it certainly isn't for me. Still wondering.
    ray@raymondjones.net
    HTTP://www.raymondjones.net