Java Firefox FC4

Thread: Java Firefox FC4

Java Firefox FC4

I've been working on getting my Java installed and working for days reinstalling FC4 twice to clear up my ill-work. At the present time I have a link that points to in my firefox-1.0.7 plugins folder which seems fine but these results are baffling me...
    [root@localhost loco]# java -version java version "1.5.0_06"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
    [root@localhost loco]# /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
    There is 1 program that provides 'java'.

Selection Command
    -----------------------------------------------
    *+ 1 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java

Where am I going wrong???

give this a try. It worked well for me!

Justbill

That's exactly what I have been working from, but it's not working for me.

It looks as if FC4 installed its own version of Java possibly... or maybe you installed an older version of it beforehand? What you may want to do is use FC4 package manager to make sure all the existing versions of Java are removed, then attempt to reinstall it.
    The Swain

dswain

FC4s version of java is the jre-1.4.2-gcj which was installed, however after searching it seems as though you need to install jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin from java's site. The articles I've read say to leave Fedora's own java alone and link the plugin to the one from Sun.

When I installed Java on my FC4 machine, I had quite a time with it also! If I remember correctly, I had to remove my previous attempts at the Java install ( ONLY THE STUFF I HAD TRIED ), and then follow those directions, and it finally worked. As a side note, I used those instructions to install Java on a CentOS 4.2 box, and it worked fawlessly.

Justbill

Infact you have to remove your older version to work out with FC4, well you can find instructions on how to install java on FC4 in sun website.

check that you have not missed any files.

Thanks for your posts. I removed the JRE I was installing and installed the JDK instead. It works but it's not listed in alternatives. I must need to link it to alternatives...but I don't think I'll worry about that for now. I left the FC4 version alone too. I didn't want to screw things up too much.