Embedding a shell into my desktop

Thread: Embedding a shell into my desktop

Embedding a shell into my desktop

Where can I find information on embedding a shell into my desktop? Google likes to bring up a lot of **** about cell phones as soon as you combine the words linux and embedded.

What I mean by embedded shell is a shell that will NOT move, has no menu, no borders, no nothing except a prompt, sitting kindly in the very back of all my desktops so that I don't have to dedicate a desktop to shells.

It's a pain in the *** to just add a term window to each desktop, each of which already having between 3 and 6 windows when I'm on break.

If it matters, I'm using Solaris Java Desktop, which I hear is heavily based on Gnome, and has Gnome all through it in docs and config files.
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor

you cant really "embed" a terminal into the desktop, you can use a terminal like eterm or aterm that can be slimmed down to the bare minimum, and if your window manager (in your case metacity, which doesnt support it) supports you can remove window decorations, in effect giving you a terminal that appears to be embedded into the desktop

couldnt u do something along the lines of setting the desktop background to a terminal? i know programs can output to it but im not sure bout the input
    Somethings are but lost
    to the times of ones conscience

Til our paths cross again.

Sounds like maybe if you just made the window sticky it would accomplish what you want. I don't know whether Gnome supports it, but for KDE and fluxbox you can tell a window to stay below all the other windows and appear on all desktops. I'm guessing KDE is most similar to Gnome, so for reference in that this can all be done with a right click on the window title-bar. You can send the window to all desktops and say keep below others to do what you want.

Right click on the xterm title bar, then select "Always on Visible Workspace". The same xterm will then be on every desktop.

If you need more than one terminal, I suggest using screen. It allows you to have mutiple terminals in one(1) xterm window. It is a most excellent program and I honestly use it Everytime I logon.

Most used screen commands:
    Ctrl+a c Create a new terminal.
    Ctrl+a " Switch to another terminal.
    Ctrl+a Ctrl+a Switch to last terminal.

Also, you can disconnect/reconnect your terminal with screen. Example:
    If you're using screen in an xterm and xwindows crashes, normally your xterm session is lost in limbo. With screen, just restart xwindows and type "screen -DR" in an xterm and your session is completely restored.

Couldn't someone write a program that would

1. remove a a section of the desktop background
    For example a 170 width and 180 height section. (Measured in pixels.)
    Give it x and y cooridance so that it is always positioned in the center of the desktop no matter what the screen resolution is.

2. Then have that section be replaced by a terminal ?
    Currently running Xubuntu & Blag.

My blog:
    http://truthjournal.blogspot.com

The Easy Guide to Installing debian:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016

Quote Originally Posted by Chess007
    Couldn't someone write a program that would

1. remove a a section of the desktop background
    For example a 170 width and 180 height section. (Measured in pixels.)
    Give it x and y cooridance so that it is always positioned in the center of the desktop no matter what the screen resolution is.

2. Then have that section be replaced by a terminal ?
    the terminal still has to technically be a winodow for x to be able to display it and your window manager needs to be able to know not to draw window decorations for that window.

like this...

see lower right
    Attached Images Attached Images
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate