2TB volume, possible in IA32 linux?

Thread: 2TB volume, possible in IA32 linux?

2TB volume, possible in IA32 linux?

if i have 4 hitachi 500GB drives, is it possible to have a LVM setup such that all 2TB comes under one volume? is it possible to take that as one 2TB share in samba?
    -------------------------

1.7 Ghz Pentium IV
    128MB RD-RAM
    40GB 5400 RPM HDD
    Creative Live! Sound Card
    Geforce 4 Ti4400 gfx card

As far as I know, making the filesystem is possible. I don't know of any real disk size constraints in the Linux kernel, only memory size constraints. This seems to say that it's also possible to setup with LVM. This piece seems to get a little more in depth though which may help.

I'm not sure about running that on Samba though. I'd imagine that Samba doesn't really have many limitations by the actual file system. I would think that if the filesystem could be created, then Samba could share it since I don't know why it would observe disk size at all.
    The Swain

dswain

I know that XFS can easily handle a 2TB filesystem (that's what its designed for, I think XFS can up to over 2PB)

I'm sure that a LVM can handle that size, the problem you'd run into is if the FS can support it.

Samba should not have any problem accessing the full 2TB as long as the kernel can use it, Samba is simply a connecting layer.