Linux on XBOX 360

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux on XBOX 360

Linux on XBOX 360

Has anyone heard anything about linux on a new XBOX 360??

Don't think this was the right spot for this post. Sorry
    Last edited by linuxbrain; 12-13-2005 at 12:10 AM.

It was done with the first xboxes, I am sure it will be done with the 360.
    http://www.free60.org/wiki/Main_Page

I swear I read somewhere that Microsoft took steps to make Linux installations impossible or at least very difficult on the 360. I wish I could remember where I read that.
    --Aaron
    Athlon X2 4800+
    Gentoo 2007.1

Quote Originally Posted by AaronD
    I swear I read somewhere that Microsoft took steps to make Linux installations impossible or at least very difficult on the 360.
    After reading a little on the before mentioned wiki, it doesn't sound like it is going to be easy at all. Lots of "stuff" thats well beyond me that is going to be quite a hassle. I am sure there is a 15 yr old kid down in their basement ripping one apart as I post this.

According to this at least the filesystem has been decoded. Maybe now the next couple of steps can begin to be taken to put custom content onto the 360.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Hi

First let me start by saying I'm not trying to start anything, but what I would like to do is learn.

1. What would it profit the linux community by putting linux on the xbox 360 is it just to show microsoft it can be done?

2. Wouldn't it be more constructive to put that effort into programs like wine or ones similar so that more game can be played on linux?

I would just like to know is all.

Dan

Some of the motivation is just to see what hardware people can get Linux to run on. I would also imagine another part would be the cost. For $400 you probably couldn't get a tri-core processor machine with all the other specs of the 360, so if you could load Linux onto it you could simply use it as a normal PC.

IBM Thinkpad T21
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

i dont game, but if linux could be run on a xbox 360 i would buy one and use it for video encoding, the idea is it has the power of a $1000 machine that you would blow all your money on to get a few more frames in your video game, but its cheap

if you can harness that power for something more constructive than just a time waster for your boring life, then its worth something to more than just gamers

Quote Originally Posted by mrrangerman43
    1. What would it profit the linux community by putting linux on the xbox 360 is it just to show microsoft it can be done?
    Because it's there.

I guarantee the same question will be posted once the PS3 is released.

2. Wouldn't it be more constructive to put that effort into programs like wine or ones similar so that more game can be played on linux?
    Sure, but I think the Linux community is robust enough to work on both.
    --Aaron
    Athlon X2 4800+
    Gentoo 2007.1

Hi
    First let me start by saying I'm not trying to start anything, but what I would like to do is learn.
    1. What would it profit the linux community by putting linux on the xbox 360 is it just to show microsoft it can be done?Dan
    Have you ever done anything just because you can? If I could figure out a way to put linux on the 360 and make it hang my xmas lights for me, and make me toast in the morning I would; just because I can . It's the "geekiness" factor. That's just my opinion, though. When I first discovered Linux could run on the xbox, I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. If you look at it from the cheap but not cheap enough for me to run out and buy one yet PC perspective, I agree with dkeav and JayMan8081 the hardware is decent enough to run as a PC and small enough it doesn't take up too much realestate and for some people the price is right. From the a*hole perspective I think of it as a slap in the face to the big head in Redmond to run a competitor's O/S on the impenetrable Xbox. I suppose as long as sales keep rolling in, the big head isn't going to loose much sleep over it. Again that's my own opinion.

That and MS loses money on each XBox 360 sale but makes it back on games. So if you just by a 360 and no games then you're screwing them out of their profit. The "because I can" argument is more compelling to me though.

I wonder how support for things like the secret ATI video card will work though.

Yeah I think it would be interesting to go through and look at how all the hardware is supported once someone gets Linux up and running. I forgot about the fact that MS loses money on the console and tries to make it back through the games. So if you really don't like MS that would be one powerful motivation.

IBM Thinkpad T21
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Thanks all,

Like I said, I'm not trying to start anything I never thought of using a xbox as a pc, although I knew at its heart that is what it is. Boy do I have a lot to learn

Dan

Now I am not a big fan of X-BOX but ... IF we can port linux to it I would probibly think of getting one just cause it would be cool to have a set top Linux box like that.

Like I said, I'm not trying to start anything I never thought of using a xbox as a pc, although I knew at its heart that is what it is.
    Yep, that's basically all it is. With some extras of course.
    XBox Specs