Makeinfo missing - Gentoo

Thread: Makeinfo missing - Gentoo

Makeinfo missing - Gentoo

When trying to compile Automake-1.9.6 I get an error stating the makeinfo is missing. Where would I get more information about how to fix this error? I get a suggestion to install texinfo from the error message (I can't really post it all here because I'm posting in the forum from a different computer), and it's already installed. I re-emerged make3.80-r1 and it still gives the error. If it helps, revdep-rebuild is not recognized as a command either.

emerge gentoolkit for revdep-rebuild....have a look over at forums.gentoo.org too...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I knew that it was somewhere, thanks je_fro. Do you know if makeinfo would be in there also by chance? I have a post on the forums on gentoo.org and it's been sitting there all day. That's why I posted over here.

Thanks

check on bugs.gentoo.org as well in case this has been reported as a bug already and preferably to report it as a bug so that they can fix it. remember to post the results of "emerge info" with your bug report (if there isn't one already on there). if there is one already and it doesn't have a fix then you should post your "emerge info" and add on to the thread so that they can see what differences if any there are between your system and other people having the same problem.

Thanks hayl. Bugzilla on gentoo is down right now, they're upgrading. I'll post the information over there in about an hour and see if I can find any information to help me fix it.

texinfo and tetex are screwy right now...I've had issues with texi2pdf in the last week or so...
    what does revdep-rebuild want to install? (revdep-rebuild -p)

--Andrew Morton on RMS

I originally had a problem installing automake 196-r1. I since then merged gcc3.4.4 and tried to go through the instructions on the wiki for upgrading to 3.4.4. of gcc. I'm following the instructions up to the point of running revdep-rebuild command there and I get an error when it's trying to rebuild groff.

revdep-rebuild -p returns nothing to emerge.
    I tried again with the emerge --oneshot -av libtool to see if it would fix it, and ran emerge -nav automake to get the same error about makeinfo not found.
    Last edited by tody4me; 12-16-2005 at 05:51 PM.

I don't know what's on the wiki site, but I did the long (emerge -e system && emerge -e world) method from here:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

--Andrew Morton on RMS