Linux Version of Remote Desktop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Version of Remote Desktop

Linux Version of Remote Desktop

Hey guys/gals,

Just wondering if any of you knew of a good program for linux to connect to a remote windows machine. Basically, I run Debian at my house and my work calls and needs me to remote in to work on a job. I'd prefer to have a linux app that I could fire up instead of having to reboot into winblows to do a remote connection. I would need it to be a graphical interface that would work just like remote desktop does. I know VNC works, but my work won't allow VNC for security reasons. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    -Tril
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

the program is called rdesktop

* net-misc/grdesktop
    Latest version available: 0.23
    Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
    Size of downloaded files: 292 kB
    Homepage: http://www.nongnu.org/grdesktop/
    Description: Gtk2 frontend for rdesktop
    License: GPL-2

* net-misc/rdesktop
    Latest version available: 1.4.1
    Latest version installed: 1.4.1
    Size of downloaded files: 210 kB
    Homepage: http://rdesktop.sourceforge.net/
    Description: A Remote Desktop Protocol Client
    License: GPL-2

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll give this a whirl when I get home. I logged into my box via SSH and did a quick apt-cache search grdesktop and it was there, so should be a breeze to setup. I'll let you know how it goes.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

grdesktop is a gtk frontend to rdesktop. grdesktop is nice for a gui but you can easily use rdesktop from a terminal
    rdesktop server.name

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    grdesktop is a gtk frontend to rdesktop. grdesktop is nice for a gui but you can easily use rdesktop from a terminal
    rdesktop server.name
    Do you mean just the way to start the session is from a terminal - that grdesktop is just a gui to fill out for the connection? I do want to run graphical programs on the remote windows box. If this is just a different way of calling the program, then yes I'd prefer a command line(usally have 4 or more terminals open on the desktop anyway).

-Mark Twain

if you want cli only couldnt use just use SSH on windows?

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

windows doesnt have many if any OSS SSH server
    Somethings are but lost
    to the times of ones conscience

Til our paths cross again.

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian
    I do want to run graphical programs on the remote windows box.
    So not just cli apps.

rdesktop alone should be fine. Grdesktop is merely a GUI configuration tool for rdesktop, so if you learn what options you need to pass to the cli version you should be fine. You'll be able to run graphical applications on the remote Windows box with either.

If you have SSH running on the Windows machine, you can pipe VNC through SSH for security. I do it at work over their secure dialup (could use straight VNC) because with SSH, you also get compression on the stream making the VNC session 2-3 times faster. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/DTG...nc/sshvnc.html

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

I already have SSH running and can get in that way. Even though I offered a way to pipe VNC through SSH, VNC is on the black list here for some reason. Prior to my employment there was a security attack that the hole was found to be a computer with VNC running on it. SSH was fine for grabbing files, working on my local box, and returning files to the remote location. The reason for the post, was that some software that we use is windows based only, and the company will not pay for another seat for me to have the software at my house. Therefore, I'm forced to either come in, or log in remotely to do work on a regurlar basis(and all these programs use GUIs). I usally have linux up and running and hated to reboot just to do a quick fix of a job. I think rdesktop will fufill my needs - the only reason I asked the rdesktop vs. grdesktop was because I wanted to know if they were different programs, or just a front-end to the cli(like GRIP is to LAME for making MP3/OGG). I have many cli's open on my desktop and so do prefer to intiate programs by command line. I'll do a man lookup after apt-get installs rdesktop, I'm sure any monkey can figure it out. I just needed the name of a good program - thanks for that.

-Tril

-Mark Twain

So not just cli apps.
    I have an eye appointment after the first of the year.

soule

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Just a update to close out this thread, rdesktop worked fine. It did have some trouble with nView and its transparency of moving objects deal, but I can make 2 profiles and switch that off before I leave work. I didn't have much time to play with it, but I'm sure there are settings to change the on screen resolution - it dfaulted to 1024x768 when linux is at 1600x1200. Minor things to work out. Thanks for the help guys.

-Mark Twain

-f Enable fullscreen mode. This overrides the window manager and causes the desktop window to fully cover the current screen. Fullscreen mode can be toggled at any time using Ctrl-Alt-Enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    -f Enable fullscreen mode. This overrides the window manager and causes the desktop window to fully cover the current screen. Fullscreen mode can be toggled at any time using Ctrl-Alt-Enter.
    Awesome - thanks.

-Mark Twain