My Ipod is giving me the exclamation mark + folder icon. I can't reset it, etc.. tried everything with no luck. I hear no sounds (HD clicking, etc) from the Ipod. A long time ago before I had this problem, I came across a thread (it wasn't on this forum) that showed how to fix my problem using Knoppix. Basically mounting and/or just formatting the Ipod HD and than going into Windows and using Ipod updater to build the Ipod file structure again.

I am currently on a Windows box because my laptop died. I have Knoppix but I can not find that thread.. what exactly can I do about the Ipod? Windows detects it as a mass USB storage device but that's about as far as it goes, nothing is showed under My Computer and Ipod Updater can't mount it.

Plugging the Ipod into my computer via Firewire seems to charge the battery and says 'OK to disconnect' -- The battery does not get charged while connected via USB or to a wall outlet. Not sure what this means.

(Oh and I am not going to pay a penny to get this fixed, plus my warranty expired.)