Debian refuses to install KDE

Thread: Debian refuses to install KDE

Debian refuses to install KDE

I recently attempted to install Debian on a friend's computer using the latest netinstall CD and everything went well until I noticed KDE had not been installed. I attempted to install KDE using Synaptic (I think) but it kept telling me that a particular component required by KDE was not up-to-date enough and KDE could not be installed. In the past Debian did not like new software packages being force installed outside of its normal packaging system so I wasn't exactly sure what to do. I'm just curious as to what would be a good solution in that situation? Attempt to uninstall the out-of-date package and then try to reinstall it from source? Has anyone else had any problems like this installing Debian?

Thanks for any comments/help.
    Tri

Use apt-get.
    Slackware

Quote Originally Posted by clw54
    Use apt-get.
    Thanks but apt-get would only install the package that wasn't up-to-date enough for KDE. I guess my question is, how can I override the apt-get versions of certain packages without making the system get mad and uninstall them during the next apt-get process?

you have to upgrade to either "testing" or "unstable", the "stable/current" will not have the latest and greatest versions. There are many threads on here already that explain how to change to testing or unstable and/or you can google(for linux) for it.

Sorry, I should have told everyone what version I was trying to install to begin with. I was attempting to install the 'testing' version using the etch beta 1 netinstall CD. I am actually using the 'testing' version myself and I haven't experienced any major roadblock installation issues like this before. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Quote Originally Posted by trisyin8
    I am actually using the 'testing' version myself and I haven't experienced any major roadblock installation issues like this before.
    Are you running KDE in your testing version, too? In other words, is the error constant or does it only appear on your friend's system?

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Are you running KDE in your testing version, too? In other words, is the error constant or does it only appear on your friend's system?
    I installed Debian testing on my system maybe about a year ago and KDE installed properly and I haven't had any problems running it. I even installed it on my friend's computer using the same older netinstall CD without any problems a few months back. But now when using the latest netinstall CD on my friend's computer, I am suffering from this problem where it refuses to install KDE.

Another friend has asked that I help them with a new linux installation and my first choice was Debian but, because of this last episode, I doubt I'll go with it.

Well, this sounds like a broken dependancy to me, then, so I guess you have these three choices:

1. Be patient and wait until it's solved. It could also be a good idea to report it to the maintainer of the package.
    2. Compile the desired KDE release yourself into Debian testing.
    3. Install Debian stable.

I for my part would go for the third option. I was highly satisfied with Debian stable and KDE, the only reason I went for Kubuntu with the more recent KDE was because of the eye candy. Oh yeah, that would be your fourth option: install Kubuntu.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by trisyin8
    But now when using the latest netinstall CD on my friend's computer, I am suffering from this problem where it refuses to install KDE.
    Read Here: Debian KDE

Did you try apt-get -f install ?