New Linux Box - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: New Linux Box

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    3,607
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
    hmmm.. this thread is degenerating into an AMD vs INTEL?
    Hmm, yeah how did that happen? I should know better than that.

    actually i believe both statements r true.. older AMDs (those slot 1s) run hell lot hotter.. but the newer intels are running hotter den AMDs now as of my experience..
    That pretty much sums it up. The only reason I even mentioned it is that it seems to be a fairly common misconception that AMDs still run hotter.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    39
    I'm currently running with an 80ATA drive. Can you see a notable difference in performance between the SATA and the original ATA? I was looking to upgrade that part of my PC soon.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinOfWonder
    I'm currently running with an 80ATA drive. Can you see a notable difference in performance between the SATA and the original ATA? I was looking to upgrade that part of my PC soon.
    Depends really. Size doesn't make a huge difference. If the read/seek times are very high on the current drive, then you will more than likely see improvements (providing you get the right drive). Also, if you're looking for big speed differences and not so much on space, get yourself a Raptor (from Western Digital). They're some of the best you can buy today.
    Last edited by DSwain; 01-11-2006 at 09:59 PM.
    The Swain

    dswain

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    659
    dswain says it all. I notice a difference on my sata150 drive that I am running compaired to my maxtor 80 gig, both 7200rpm, both about the same price. I prefer sata over standard ide....but thats just me.

    and I love AMD but the right board by the right company can sometimes dig to deep in the wallet, so I go with an intel processor on a intel board, both backed by my 3 year warr. With the consulting firm I manage, we have had software vendors in the past pull the "well you are not running an intel processor system" or your HP is AMD and we dont support AMD" so becuse of that fact I have become rather fond of Intel. cant complain, never had a problem out of any intel I have put together or had at home.

    I didnt want to start this thread to start AMD bashing, matter of fact I am working on a debian mail server right now, and its a AMD 1.0Ghz 512 ram box.

    So please dont get me wrong here........

    later tater
    registered Linux user number 371609

    SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

    Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

    If guns kill people, then...

    Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by DSwain
    Wow, very nice very nice. Intel and ATI aren't really my favorites anymore, but nice HDD choice. Have one myself, and I can't complain at all. Either way, it should be very cool in the end. Enjoy the machine man.
    I have to agree. I've got a barracuda 200.8 drive, and it freaking rocks...
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

    Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
    hmmm.. this thread is degenerating into an AMD vs INTEL?

    actually i believe both statements r true.. older AMDs (those slot 1s) run hell lot hotter.. but the newer intels are running hotter den AMDs now as of my experience..

    Anyway... nice box u have there.. though my 2 yr old box might be just abit faster den urs, but ur getting a major upgrade from ur old lappy anyway ..

    (my specs are in my signature )
    As long as it within it rated operating temperature, the processor should run fine. Whether it 70 degrees or 35 should make no difference. The hot AMD's Athlon XP i.e. palomino cored, were rated upto something like 90 degree celcius. as long as the cpu was cooler than that it shouldn't make a difference.
    Powered by Fedora Core

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Maximus
    As long as it within it rated operating temperature, the processor should run fine. Whether it 70 degrees or 35 should make no difference. The hot AMD's Athlon XP i.e. palomino cored, were rated upto something like 90 degree celcius. as long as the cpu was cooler than that it shouldn't make a difference.
    That is if you're running within stock temperatures. If you want to try and say overclock something which runs at that temperature, well you're pretty much out of luck to say the least haha. I dunno though... I believe the rating by far, as it should be designed to handle temperature like that, but I wouldn't exactly trust a CPU running at 90C (about 194F if I did the math right). Maybe not trust, but just be very worried about. Also, I'd be worried about life span of something running that hot. I see your point though, there isn't much reason it wouldn't work or would be a major problem in the short term.
    The Swain

    dswain

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by DSwain
    That is if you're running within stock temperatures. If you want to try and say overclock something which runs at that temperature, well you're pretty much out of luck to say the least haha. I dunno though... I believe the rating by far, as it should be designed to handle temperature like that, but I wouldn't exactly trust a CPU running at 90C (about 194F if I did the math right). Maybe not trust, but just be very worried about. Also, I'd be worried about life span of something running that hot. I see your point though, there isn't much reason it wouldn't work or would be a major problem in the short term.
    my point was along the lines, if it is running at 60 or 45, it really doesn't hurt it. It just kinda sounds like a pissing match between Intel and AMD fanboys, when they go on about core temperatures, something which in normal use of the chip is completely irrelevant.
    Powered by Fedora Core

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinOfWonder
    I'm currently running with an 80ATA drive. Can you see a notable difference in performance between the SATA and the original ATA? I was looking to upgrade that part of my PC soon.
    My maxtor ATA133 hardrive appears just as fast as my maxtor Sata drives. However I have never benched it.
    Powered by Fedora Core

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    3,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Maximus
    my point was along the lines, if it is running at 60 or 45, it really doesn't hurt it. It just kinda sounds like a pissing match between Intel and AMD fanboys, when they go on about core temperatures, something which in normal use of the chip is completely irrelevant.
    Maybe, maybe not. I haven't seen any definite numbers, but I do know that hardware running hotter than other hardware almost always has a shorter lifespan. I guess running for 5 years versus running for 7 years maybe isn't a big deal to some people, but Linux users tend to get that much use out of their computers.

    Besides which, a cooler running processor is generally a good indicator of a lower power processor which will save you money in the long run. It may not be a big deal to everyone, but in some cases it can be and like the man said, "A penny saved is a penny earned."

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Besides which, a cooler running processor is generally a good indicator of a lower power processor which will save you money in the long run. It may not be a big deal to everyone, but in some cases it can be and like the man said, "A penny saved is a penny earned."
    I can't argue with that logic mate
    Powered by Fedora Core

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    3,607
    That said, I am an nVidia/AMD fanboi so I wouldn't put it past me to get into a pissing contest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •