New Linux Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Linux Box

New Linux Box

I am building a new system box and it almost complete.
    here are the specs:

Intel D848PFT2 Intel 848P Chipset 800MHz FSB
    Intel P4 2.4 Retail
    1024 Value Select Cosair
    80Gig Sata150 Seagate Barracuda
    128Mb ATI/ASUS 9200SE
    Samsung DVD-RW 16X
    Floppy

I cant wait till my CPU comes in today, I am ready to power up with LINUX!!!

I have been working on my compaq laptop celeron 1.4 for 2 long.........
    registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

Quote Originally Posted by mmills
    I have been working on my compaq laptop celeron 1.4 for 2 long.........
    Feel lucky. I'm writing this very message from a Celeron 466mhz (256MB RAM). Thank god for Debian and XFCE.
    "Never ask the barber if you need a haircut."

Things could be worse...

YnJldHRfYnVydG9uXzgyQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ== (hidemyemail.net)

Use the MUTT Mailreader!

Wow, very nice very nice. Intel and ATI aren't really my favorites anymore, but nice HDD choice. Have one myself, and I can't complain at all. Either way, it should be very cool in the end. Enjoy the machine man.
    The Swain

dswain

Im a AMD kinda guy but my boss at work has had me building so many p4 machines, this setup I have bundled together smokes my AMD XP 1900 I had before this machine, by far, I was way to impressed to go with another AMD....

Pencils mis-speel...

I suppose that's very true. Hey actually I have a question for you. How is the cooling on your P4? I've heard they run cool in some instances and in others they make the sun seem kinda chilly. I have a P4, but it's dated at this point (1.3ghz) so that doesn't give me an actual basis to go off of.
    The Swain

dswain

pentium 4 OEM runns hot, like an AMD, pentium4 retail runs cool but not chilly, atleast not on a intel board, intel's mainboards have a very nice monitoring system, I dont use anything but intel and biostar when it comes to P4's, shuttle and SOHO make nice AMD but not for intel. I suggest anything starting out around 2.4-3.6 a northwood or prescott 400/800mhz fsb

intel makes a cpu monitoring program you can download at there site ofcourse its an MS exe.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...&ProductID=593

Pencils mis-speel...

Wow those are impressive temps to me haha. I'm assuming you're not on a stock cooling system? Mine is not by any means (Artic SIlver/Large Heatsink/Special Designed Cooling Thing by me) and I'm running at 47C (about 116F) so that's something else for me haha. Maybe I need more Artic Silver.

At any rate, I don't have any plans on building a computer for a while yet. It'll have to wait until probably at least the end of summer if anything. I may keep the thought in mind though. How about performance, though? Any benchmark I've seen shows Intel behind (not always a ton, but slightly). Price too kind of kills me haha.
    The Swain

dswain

Im a AMD kinda guy but my boss at work has had me building so many p4 machines, this setup I have bundled together smokes my AMD XP 1900 I had before this machine, by far, I was way to impressed to go with another AMD....

I should hope so. I don't think those processors are even really in the same generation.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    I should hope so. I don't think those processors are even really in the same generation.
    True, but it depends by how much, and what generation. Like I said, I have a 1.3ghz P4 and I'm sure an Athlon XP 1900 can outdo that any day. Even if it is "slow" I think it could still compete in the end anyway if it wanted to. At any rate, I'm sure it was well smoked and dried either way, so whatever works right?
    The Swain

dswain

p4 1.4 400mhz 25kcache......kinda old you can get that cpu for 30 dollars..
    but AMD's run very hot. P4's dont

Pencils mis-speel...

but AMD's run very hot. P4's dont
    Err, wait what? There's a reason Intel processors are referred to as a rich man's space heater.

funny, let me say this again.

OEM runs HOT like a AMD
    Retail runs cool but not fridgid...or extremely cold.

so unless the rich man buys the crap oem, then the statement is wrong...lol

Pencils mis-speel...

That's a neat result. I do agree, as that's what I've seen with my "$20 CPU." At any rate, I guess since the computer was produced by Gateway, the CPU is probably of a retail sort because it runs fairly cool, or cool enough. In the end, most current-CPU's run somewhat warm no matter what you do, so I don't expect it to be frozen... unless watercooling went terribly wrong or you have some type of low-power Via machine.
    The Swain

dswain

funny, let me say this again.

OEM runs HOT like a AMD
    Retail runs cool but not fridgid...or extremely cold.

so unless the rich man buys the crap oem, then the statement is wrong...lol

Nothing on the Prescott core runs cool ever (well, okay with phase change it might). OEM vs. Retail has nothing to do with the processor, only whether a stock heatsink is included and possibly a different warranty (unless you run an OEM sans heatsink. Then it would get really hot.). Granted, a 2.4 may be old enough to be a Northwoods core which I believe were pretty good temp-wise, but not in at least the last two years have AMD processors run hotter than Intel.

For reference, Northwood and Prescott both hotter than all AMD processors under load: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2026&p=3

Those probably fall somewhere between the 2.4 and the latest processors generationally and there's obviously something screwy with the regular Athlon numbers since idle and load temps are only a degree or two apart. Still, it's a pretty thorough trouncing, especially at load.

hmmm.. this thread is degenerating into an AMD vs INTEL?

actually i believe both statements r true.. older AMDs (those slot 1s) run hell lot hotter.. but the newer intels are running hotter den AMDs now as of my experience..

Anyway... nice box u have there.. though my 2 yr old box might be just abit faster den urs, but ur getting a major upgrade from ur old lappy anyway ..

(my specs are in my signature )
    Registered Linux User #388117